tigeravg

True Classic
Covering this yet again (because I got PM's about it last time).

If you are replacing the heater valve (likely due to leaking), do yourself a YUUUGE favor and replace the heater core also.

I now replace the original core with a Lada unit from "LADA POWER". They are $25 spank'n new, the correct size, and pretty dang good quality. Have to scratch a tiny bit off the plastic box for one of the ports to fit, takes about 15 seconds with a dremmel tool. LP also sells the "premium" ceramic control valve very inexpensively.
Took less than two weeks to get to my door from Estonia.
Below are pics and part numbers.

Note: Can't really get around the difficulty of the task. Is what it is. However, I find it easier [than not] to remove the entire heater box, clean it, then re-assemble the whole shebang at once. Also keeps system contamination to a minimum.

IMG_4396.jpg
IMG_4397.jpg
IMG_4399.jpg

Covering this yet again (because I got PM's about it last time).

If you are replacing the heater valve (likely due to leaking), do yourself a YUUUGE favor and replace the heater core also.

I now replace the original core with a Lada unit from "LADA POWER". They are $25 spank'n new, the correct size, and pretty dang good quality. Have to scratch a tiny bit off the plastic box for one of the ports to fit, takes about 15 seconds with a dremmel tool. LP also sells the "premium" ceramic control valve very inexpensively.
Took less than two weeks to get to my door from Estonia.
Below are pics and part numbers.

Note: Can't really get around the difficulty of the task. Is what it is. However, I find it easier [than not] to remove the entire heater box, clean it, then re-assemble the whole shebang at once. Also keeps system contamination to a minimum.

View attachment 78876View attachment 78877View attachment 78878
Rats, I don't see that one on their site, I only see this one:

"Lada Niva / Lada 2101-2103, 2106 Heater Core Radiator 200x176"​

Your invoice says you bought the 255x186 size.

Rats, I don't see that one on their site, I only see this one:

"Lada Niva / Lada 2101-2103, 2106 Heater Core Radiator 200x176"​

Your invoice says you bought the 255x186 size.
My invoice also shows I bought the 2102-2103, 2106 core...That's the only screw-up to this buy. When you buy that specific core, you get the 255x186 size core (even though it is listed smaller by measurement). I believe the measurements on their site intend to show you what they now replace (translation ?). I talked to Mark "Fiat Freak" and he confirmed he got the 255 core as well. At $25, not much of a risk. You can still get that very good "ceramic" valve and several other nice pieces very inexpensively in the same package for the same shipping too. They even sell all the heater knobs and such. Totally worth it IMO.

Last edited:
The owner of Lada Parts ("Pavel") is a really nice guy and extremely helpful. They offer some of the best customer service I've experienced. He speaks perfect English so you can email him and ask about the various heater cores and dimensions. He will go out and measure them for you. ;) However he is not familiar with X1/9 parts so he can't tell you if something will fit your X or not.

Yes, there are actually many parts that are direct replacements for the X. Often the quality of Lada parts is criticized but in my experience they are no worse than any Fiat parts I've purchased in recent years (they seem to have declined considerably in general).

I intended to post this previously but completely forgot. They had a "black friday" sale with 30% off any order. I think it ended Sunday....sorry I forgot to share it earlier.

I only have good things to say about Pavel, and indeed have done so in previous posts.

I did find the heater matrix not a perfect fit and had to butcher the upper box to make fit.

Also make sure to use the matrix that has the studs protruding from it. I received the type that had captive nuts and my earlier posts attest to the difficulties.

I purchased clutch reservoir, brake and clutch master cylinder rebuild kits and heater knobs, from memory. They look similar or are adaptable to the x19.

RDS

My invoice also shows I bought the 2102-2103, 2106 core...That's the only screw-up to this buy. When you buy that specific core, you get the 255x186 size core (even though it is listed smaller by measurement). I believe the measurements on their site intend to show you what they now replace (translation ?). I talked to Mark "Fiat Freak" and he confirmed he got the 255 core as well. At $25, not much of a risk. You can still get that very good "ceramic" valve and several other nice pieces very inexpensively in the same package for the same shipping too. They even sell all the heater knobs and such. Totally worth it IMO.

Ok, heater core ordered, as well as the ceramic valve, also tossed in some door panel clips for good measure!

Installed my Lada heater core today. Here's the X1/9 vs Lada side by side, the diffs are obvious.

1713505203553.png

As for the fit, as others have noted, you have to break out your dremel tool. Here's the result:

1713505268349.png

1713505291736.png

1713505311361.png

Not too bad. What do you expect for $25 !! I think it's worth the hassle, what other options are there?!?

Oh, and for you racers out there, it's MUCH lighter that the stock X1/9 one !

Also had a fit issue with the ceramic heater valve. The loop in the cable is too small for the arm, so I took the dremel to the arm to make is slim enough for the loop to fit over it.

1713505837183.png

Last edited:
Back