Help needed - overheating.

510qEmGue-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

MAX... you are right...

When I read he list I SAW the word PIPES but THOUGHT it was HOSES. I gemy eyes checked on December 9th... mabe I oughtta move the appointment up!

BUT... the premise is still the same. Kevin shows a photo of the test kit in his response... and it will pressurise EVERYTHING. The pipes, radiator, engine, heater core... YOU WILL FIND a LEAK if there is one... and also WATCH the guage and mkake sure the pressure holds!

I usually test to 20 pounds or more in REAL cars, and about 16 in this car.

If you fnd NO leaks, then I would look for these two FAR REACHING possibilities:

1. An obstruction in the coolant pipes... Remove radiator hoses from both ends, force a water hose and house pressure through them and see what comes out.

2. The water pump vanes... remove and inspect...

3. Try PRESSURE flushing the engine block with a hose also... I have never done this, but I am OUT OF IDEAS!

I know, I know... far reaching... Good luck and do ell us what ya find!

Keven is right, this is one of the "often used" tools in my box. If I am into the cooling system for any reason, other than to confirm the radiator cap is not broken & the radiator is full, this thing gets installed.
Has a friend's 1975 X pumped up to 16 PSI & up on the rack for about 6 hours today confirming it would hold it without bleeding down. It did, and as soon as I am done with the posts I am off for a test drive.

A BIG THANKS TO ALL

Thanks so much for all your help.
Lachlan and I have some pressure testing to do.
And a cap to inspect.

I also find it interesting that no-one mentioned my query about an air lock that floats around the pipes. Is this because I don't know what I'm talking about LOL? Also I remember reading some-where that a guy jacked the end of his car up as high as he could get it and left it there for a month. His theory was gravity would eventually force the air out.
I know I'm stretching but this problem has cost me thousands and the only reason I've not sold the car or junked it is because it's such a nice X.

DSC01723.jpg

Well... "air lock" doesn't...

... usually appear in a LOW area like the pipes... but HIGH, like in the top of the radiator. Hence, that is why there is bleed valve in the top of the radiator.

As for someone jacking up a car and waiting for a month... I can cite at least TWO things wrong with that person... but I try to be a gentleman... HA!

Nice looking ride, btw... we'll be waitng for your results!

Please read about X1/9 cooling systems starting on page 259 of Obert's Fiat Guide. I followed the bleeding instructions and it worked like a charm.

yep it sure has

The radiator has been bled several times, its also been flushed once which was alarming when it was. I think from memory it was 95% blocked but this has been fixed now.

One current cause,,

you say seems to happen when climbing a long hill. At what r.p.m. do you run it at. I always feel there's nothing worse on a motor than to lug it. One local mountain I sometimes go up is quite steep. I keep it at about 5,000 r.p.m. to keep more flow through the rad, and at the max h.p. and torque range, it's never heated doing this. This is only about a ? 3-4 mile climb. It could be a factor.

5th gear

at 60-65 mph up a long steep hill.
I guess it's about 4500rpm.
It will maintain this speed providing I have the throttle to the floor.

Reading thru the entire thread, I still do not have any detail about the radiator in the car.

Early in the thread it was posted that the car has a custom made aluminum radiator.

Late in the thread it was posted that at one time the car's radiator was 95% blocked but this is now fixed.

Because no one has seen fit to supply us with full information, I have to assume what that REALLY means is that the OEM radiator in the car was 95% blocked, which would of course cause the car to overheat, so it was decided to replace it with a custom radiator that is supposed to have greater cooling capacity, yet the car still overheats.

I submit that the new custom built radiator is not suitable for this application and that putting in a known good OEM radiator will cure the problem.

radiator info

The standard radiator was worse in this situation however the pipes weren't changed then.

The custom radiator was the one which was blocked due to the previous engine being very tired and therefore rusty.

It is well known that aluminum radiators block quiet easily i am led to believe i have considered doing another flush because of this.

But the radiator is seeing roughly a 25degree drop across the pipes with the fan running.

"But the radiator is seeing roughly a 25degree drop across the pipes with the fan running."

How was this measured?

Do you have an infrared/noncontact thermometer available to you?

And under what conditions?

Can you post some pix of the radiator and how it's plumbed into the car?

Does the custom rad have a way to bleed air from the top of the radiator?

the rad

The radiator was built to replicate the x radiator exactly using all its mounts bleed scew position pipe location etc. Its just 40% thicker than the original its a twin core item.

This was measured with a hand held laser thermometer not 100% accurate but it gives you a good idea of whats happening.

Cheers

Based on this new information it would seem that the radiator is doing its job.

Next suspect: undercar pipes--a blockage limiting flow.

Have you chased the pipes with a pipe snake to ensure that there are no blockages? Do you have a fiberoptic scope available to you to check the insides of the undercar pipes?

I understand these pipes are new, but during fabrication something might have gone unnoticed that would limit the flow of these pipes.

Here's how I check mine: http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/DSarandrea/083009/

now we are getting serious

There is one thing that i have neglected to mention i am not sure if it is relevant or now.

About 6 months ago i cant recall which engine was in the car i was driving along at highway speed when the temperature shot up. Water was all over the windscreen etc. It was one of the rubber hoses joining the pipes to the front radiator. Now they were old but i would assume something had to pressurize them in order to cause this.

Just a little more information i will be doing the pressurization test today so i will let you know how it goes.

cheers guys

UPDATE!

Hey guys ok today a few tests were done.
the pressure test came up ok we found no leaks etc it was holding 17psi.

Now another guy from the car club suggested it was pre ignition that was the problem. I took the car to him today as we discovered it was set at 10degrees tdc of advance. This although only 5degree's higher than normal shouldn't pose a probem. However we discovered that the vaccum advance was advancing it to 30degree's at only 3000rpm.

He believe that up the hill it would have been detonating causing the pistons and block to become extremely hot almost flash boiling the water.

It makes sense to me the real test will be a drive up that long hill again but that might not happen until late this week.

What do you guys think

Hmmmmm....

I dunno... I'd rather wait for the results of your test...

I hate to say it... but I resorted to the INTERMITTANT PIPE BLOCKAGE thing as Dan has come around to... some time ago. It is about the only thing left that would SUDDENLY cause the temp to rise.

I would think that if the timing was the cause, it would basically be operating at a HIGHER temperature overall, but not something that would shoot up suddenly.

Maybe our definition of "suddenly" differs?

Back