Here's a GREAT project for someone...

Needs a crew like the late Boyd Coddington's to ...

Media blast it and start repairing the metal. Looks complete too. Didn't realise that they used the 15 degree V4 in this model.
Will be real cute if restored.
Why'd they describe the colour as black, when it's mostly rust and white?

Tyrone, Pottsy... LOOK closer...

If it is a V4... how does the carb on the right side work with the exhaust manifold on the left side...

Looks like 4 plugs... Could there be 4 plugs for two cylinders with a head worth of valves on each bank? If not... then how does the intake and exhaust work... especially the intake with such a diverse runner setup?

I keep staring and shaking my head...

yes a V4, due to the arrangement made tuning them near impossible. Luckily for me never had to play with a lancia V4.

Picture attached

appia_blok.gif

Tony, there is one block and one head....

The cylinders are bored at an angle to the deck surface, resulting in a V between the two pairs of cylinders, a bit of a head scratcher for the machinist who bores the block when it comes to rebuild time. And it is very much a "cylinder block" too, the engine is in four sections, stacked ontop of each other... valve assembly, head, block and then crankcase... quite advanced for its time ... it's a "twin cam" too... with a cam on either side of the crankshaft.

And there are two pairs of intake ports, long and short, as well as long and short exhaust ports. Having these different lengths leads to being able to develop a wide torque band, as the resonant frequency of the long / short is obviously different, and it works together quite well.

These little engines (came as 1.3, 1.6 and 2.0) won a couple of World Rally Championships back in their day, with the original "Stig" (Blomquist) in the Fulvia... so someone was obviously able to tune them "just right"

The Fulvia "HF "versions had alloy doors, bonnet / hood and boot/trunk... and a real one with provenance can fetch big $$...

SteveC

Thanks Steve, Paul, annd Mr. Smith...

Great explanations and fotos... but I'm still scratching my head over all this. What a DIFFERENT design!

Back