hesistation problem solved ignition switch problem now

verdebiancorosso

Daily Driver
The hesitation problem was caused by a dirty reed filter located in the air canister . The person I bought this from kept the car stock. Now with this occasional problem with the starter getting power . Do I need to remove the ignition switch , take it apart and clean the contacts? I thought I read something about this - John

Maybe... Have you done the BROWN WIRE MOD?

Also, have you REMOVED, CLEANED, and RE-TORQUED your braided ground strap.

Have you installed a SECOND ground strap somewhere up top?

I'd be happy to go into more detail if you'll give me more details as to exactly what you are experiencing... clicks, failure to start, failure to turnover, nothing when key turned, etc.

HTH...

Try installing a relay. I just did this last week to solve a similar problem.
I attached a relay to the firewall directly above the starter.
I removed the small red wire from the starter solenoid and connected it to the #85 terminal of the relay. This is now the trigger for the relay.
I then ran a 10 gauge wire from the fat terminal on the starter to the #30 relay terminal. This is the power for the relay.
I ran another 10 gauge wire from the starter solenoid to the #87 relay terminal. This is what powers the solenoid when the relay is triggered.
I ground the #86 terminal of the relay to the mounting post on the fire wall that I attached the relay to.
Takes almost as long to explain as to install. I've done this to all my Spiders, Betas and Scorpions too.

!

An intermittent starter can be caused by all kinds of things. The starter/ignition switch would be the last place I'd look. First I'd check out the wiring (ground strap), then the starter itself, then the switch. Like he said above, describe the symptoms better. Do you get nothing, or a click, or a big click like the starter engaging and not turning?

Ignition

Hi Tony - It seems to be a intermittent problem at this point . Say if I turn the key 10 times. Maybe 2 times the starter will not engage. The only things I did so far has been check the starter terminals and battery terminals. I'll check the ground wire from the engine to chassis. Nothing has been modified or added that I know of . John

Thanks for the info . It seems that the starter definitely needs more juice . I will try the other things first as I'm trying to do less as possible. It worked well since '79 . I'm going to check the grounding strap . Thx John

Thanks- That's good to know. I checked the terminals at the battery and starter only . Thanks for the heads up on the ground strap. It's intermittent, so out of 10 turns , maybe two times I get only a click and no juice to the starter . Thanks - John

As Greg suggests...

A starter relay will be a great asset but ya really NEED to do the BWM along with cleaning up the ground straps.

As for the ignition switch... Greg also placed a detailed post or two in Best Of, version 1.0. As you stated, it is also a good possibility.

Do the easiest FIRST. Outside of the straps, it'll be up to you to determine what ya wanna do next. Let us know...

All should be done,,,

and contribute to the problem. For the strap don't forget to clean up the contact points on the body and case , as there is likely oxidation build up. When mine was clicking,, the BWM fixed it, plus I cleaned the grounds. It works fine now, but I will still do the relay mod on it also (some day) , short work season here. :doh:

Back