Hey, fellow X'ers...not X related but need an opinion...

Quantumleap

Rich Banks
I have an ongoing debate right now in VWVortex, regarding this '81 Scirocco with a late model engine in it, $5k paint job, NOS Recaro seats, suspension, bbs wheels etc...he thinks he'll sell it for $14k, im "G60runner67" whos imparting a little wisdom...as we've seen X's that owners on ebay tried to sell on ebay for insane amounts as well...what do you guys think? I see that it might be some kid who thinks he's trying to get back everything he invested in it....here's the thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ectric-Blue-Full-Restoration-with-all-records.

I'm on vortex as well I'm Eastep there too, and yeah, I could see asking 12k for it. I doubt he'll get it, but its a good jumping off point. I didnt bother reading the details, just looked at the pics, I did notice the engine and paint which both appear very well done, but If I had cash to blow on a rocco I'd only give him 7-7500 max for for it and thats only bec Im lazy and wouldnt wanna do the work myself. The way i see it is a really good scirocco with nearly mint paint is only worth about 3-3500, add engine swap of 0-3k depending if I were to do it or have someone do it for me, plus $200-500 for the motor itself plus 1k for wheels and tires and I'm at around 8k. While 12k maybe a little ambitious, its not unreasonable and there's room to negotiate depending on how motivated the seller is. Its always difficult to sell something objectively that you've poured alot of sweat equity into, because while the potential buyer sees $$ signs, your remembering late nights, busted knuckles, blood stains, yelling and tools flying ... make it tough to put a price on that kinda thing

I'm "MKI Sleeper" on Vortex, had to add my own $0.02 to the thread, lol...some people just don't understand cars, for the most part, and in extreme cases...they are NOT an investment.

It's gorgeous...but $14k...come on. Of course it would cost someone more than that to build it, but people build projects like that over years. So to make the arguement that you couldn't build it for that money is irrelevant. I can't be too far off, since there is no one running to spend the money on it...or it would've already sold.

Last edited:
I really like Siroccos, had one, but it's not worth it. Unless someone makes a passion purchase. Standard response to a modded car: you'll make more by selling the performance parts and selling the car stock.

I too haunt the Vortex, as kmead there as well.

This isn't something I would spend much time on, I leave people's for sale threads alone. I don't see that particular very nice car going for that kind of money, it will go for good money just not that amount.

Really nice job but still unfinished means it won't get the asked for price (no rear panels and so on).

There have been a few other Roccos in the past that I liked better but didn't go for that kind of coin.

Well I think it obvious that we're some of the few level headed vortexers... I just didn't know this many Xers were on there. Guys we all know how Vortex is, and while I think we're all in agreement that this car is very nice, but not 14k nice and the reasons behind this opinion are unanimous but we're preaching to the quire. I say we leave the guy alone, wish him luck and not let the virus that is vortex taint our souls ( or this site). There's enough D.B's there without us joining in, we're better then that, we're X1/9 drivers :happy:

huh...

I thought '81's had rear upholstery, rear wiper etc.

"The interior is complete with carpet clean dash with a limited amount of cracks 5 vdo gauges. No rear seats"

Uh...

:rolleyes:

Good looking car, difficult to recoup investment as has been noted. It can be done, I sold my '75 that I bought for $500 for 2K 13 years later. But, I spent more than that on it over the years. But mine had a rear seat.

VWvortex guy here as well!

I think the price is fair, that car is amazing. It would take 20k+ to build that car. I would see if he would take 12-13k, and if hes unwilling to budge I wouldn't be to upset to drop the 14k for it.

I don't think anyone here would say that an X1/9 built to this quality would not be worth 14k. The X's that people gawk at for high asking prices, are not restored nearly as clean as this car, nor do they have a modern engine swap in them.

The equivalent x1/9 would be the green k20 built by Matt. I don't think any one would argue that cars worth less then 14k. It costs more to build the X, due to the more custom nature of the swap, but the sum of the parts on both cars are equal.

I`m also a big watercooled VW fan having my roots in early GTI`s,but for that kind of money do yourself a favor and get yourself a nice good Porsche 911,either a 80-83 SC 3.0 car or even an better 84-87 Carrera 3.2 with motronic if you search good.
There is/was another MKI scirocco for sale at Vortex with a very rare Kamei body kit but electronics needed to be finished.Guy originally wanted around 3500-3700,but i have a friend have him down to 3000 and he wouldnt go lower.....search it.....

Back