Hot Start drama

bmck

True Classic
Trying to start after about a few minutes break results in a pretty slow turning starter motor and crossed fingers that she will eventually fire up.

The crossing-of-fingers exercise is usually when sitting on the apron at the petrol station after filling up. By this stage, there are usually one or two people inspecting the X from afar while I'm hopping she's going to start. Keeping the throttle to the floor usually gives me the best result - as does a quick prayer to St Anthony.

Yes, I have read all about hot start issues here before, but is my slow-turning starter a typical sympton? Starter spins like it should when cool.

Here are the details:

1300 carbed
No carb-cooling blower in place
Std air filter can replaced with Lynx foam jobbie
Rain tray in place
Starter recently overhauled

I was thinking of installing a carb blower with a manual switch to disable when parking for long periods. Should I?

Regards,

Brian

same drama

Here is something you can try to see if it helps out. Get a jumper cable and put one end of the cable on the negative part of the battery and put the other end of the cable grounded to the engine. Get the motor warmed up under similar temperature when you fill it would give you the starting drama turn the motor off and restart it to see if it helps

A hot slow-crank condition usually means either increased load (starter malfunction or over-advanced timing) or increased resistance in the main wire or ground.

Since many times the ground path, which is as important as the (+) cable for cranking, is ignored or neglected, I'd start with removing and cleaning the connections on your chassis-to-transaxle ground wire. Increasing it to a 4 gauge or adding a second ground wire is also a good idea.

I had issues like this with my '72 850 Spider and adding a 4g wire as a second ground cured it, and I never had a cranking issue again.

Makes me want to do the same to my '87 Bertone, but it doesn't seem to need it, yet...

Back