How do I remove the ignition switch?

zuckus01

Daily Driver
I have found the two bolts that hold it on, but can not remove them. They do not seem to have a head of any wrench I have ever seen.

This is both sides of the bolt.

24306700.jpg

93424652.jpg

26782391.jpg

66225280.jpg

0t43278601j
The car is an 86. The key is stuck in the ignition and I need to remove the ignition to either repair or replace it.

Thank you in advance.
0t43278601j

Spray oil first?

Have you tried the usual? Spray penetrating oil? Soak it overnight.
Otherwise, I believe you'll have to drill out the 2 break-off bolts that hold it in place. Wishing you good luck...

Twist-off bolts

As Bob said, the bolts are twist-off and must be drilled out. Since the key is in the ignition, you might be able to extract the switch and cylinder without touching those bolts. Check the Wiki-section on switch rebuilding for how this is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
On mine

I took a high speed grinder to it with a cut off blade. I cut into the slot where it joins. I think I may have dropped the steering (did it quite some time ago). It did a bit of damage to the bracket, but to me, it was worth it ( went very quick). To replace, I used regular bolts and washers to heep it out of the recessed hole.

Alternatives

Slotting the recessed head, then turning the recessed bolt with a screw driver does get the task done.

Other ways would be to drill a hole (about 0.25" or 6mm) in the recessed head, then use a broken bolt extractor to remove the bolt or drill a hole with a left hand drill. The drilling force might remove the recessed bolt..if that does not do it.. use a larger left hand drill which the cutting edges will snag the edges of the hole allowing the recessed bolt to be removed..this snagging with the drill's cutting edge procedure must be done by hand.

Torque on these bolts are about 15 ft/lb..

Thank you all for your help I have been busy :eyepop:, so have not handled this yet. I will let you guys know what comes of it. Sorry it took so long to get back to you all.

I think

the easiest way is a small cut-off wheel on a Dremel tool. Cut a slot for a big screwdriver and they come out easily. That's what I did.

If you're installing a new one..

don't torque the heads off the bolts.. you or the next owner will thank you for it...

Back