How to get rid of the air pump (or whatever it's called)

tomnj

Old fogie stogie
cc67cb37.jpg

I'm replacing my exhaust manifold with a 1974 one (4-2-1) on my 73 128 w/ 1979 Strada 1.5. There are a few metal lines that connect to the exhaust and intake manifolds that I had to remove. I'm not sure what they are, I'm assuming some emissions air pump. The question is, can I just block them off or do I need to change the intake manifold?

Also, notice the blocked off heater hose going to the manifold? It was like that when I bought the car. What was that supposed to connect to?

!

I'm no expert on the older carbed x's, but this looks like an EGR system (exhaust gas recirculator). If this is connected to the exhaust pipe, that's what it is. Typically you can disconnect them, however, it will throw off the carb mixture.

Somone else may give a better answer, but it may work best to just connect this line to a fresh filtered air source instead, so instead of sucking exhaust, it will suck in fresh useable air. Looks like this sytem is also supposed to be ventilating the crankcase. That will actually enhance performance and engine life by sucking out the fuel mixture that leaks past the pistons into the crank area. This fuel and burnt fuel will dilute the oil and wear engine parts. I'd reconnect that system (the big hose). If you block these off, you'll have to rejet your carb, or replace the carb.

ERG piping

Yes you for the can remove the hole piping system for the EGR System you can also remove the one with the hose thats blocked off it went the glup valve just make sure that you plug all the holes the one goint into the exhause manifold is the same size a your drain pan if you remove the EGR valve located on the block under the pipe from the water pump make sure to plug the line of it also and you will need to drain down your coolent system also.

Back