How to mount Early bumpers....

kyle

Upstate N.Y.
Any opinions or previous expirience mounting early style bumpers on an 1987. Has any one collapsed a bumper shock? is it safe?
All input would be appreciated.
Cheers
Kyle

I just collapsed my bumpers this last weekend. It is easy, just use a drill. I would caution you about just forcing the drill though. You will feel as is starts to go through and air will escape, and eventually oil. Once the bit starts to just pierce through I would stop, allow the air to escape, then continue to drill through. Once you have a hole, I recommend rotating the mount so the hold is facing the ground and use a catch pan and push it in. It might get hard, just allow the oil to come out then push a little more. Wear safety glasses too.

Another option for collapsing the bumpers

I remembered reading of this method in the archives at N54-Xweb. Take the bumpers off and look at the front of the bumper shock for a ball detente. If you can't find that ball on the front, you may need to pull the strut out and look at the back. Reading the two posts below, it was hard to say if the ball is in the front or the back of the strut. Maybe I am just dense. :)

Anywho... if you can find that ball, these guys are saying you can tap it in with a hammer and punch and avoid drilling.

Unfortunately there are no pictures. Take a read through them and see if you can find the ball they are talking about. If it works out... we want some pictures!!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1180731367/Bumper+Shock+Collapse

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1190926554/Bumper+Compress

Has any one collapsed a bumper shock? is it safe?

Is it safe? Well... the X is a very sturdy car and that won't change by collapsing the bumpers. However, you are giving up a little crush space in a minor accident. So you are more likely to end up with body damage without the give in the bumper.

Good luck Kyle.

Detent ball worked.

Used air hammer and the gas came out and they collapsed.
I will post pictures this weekend.
thanks for the info.
Cheers
Kyle

Back