I attempted to paint my X

moretti124guy

Daily Driver
Well I had an extra deck lid and I was like hum.... I can't be that hard. For a car that is mainly gonna see track duty I could not see spending $2,000+ for paint and body. So have a fiberglass deck lid that is going on the car, so I used the original for my test, I am going to hang it up in the garage with my other wall art. It is far from perfect, but it is not far off to the factory paint from the 60's and much better then Earl Shibe. It took me about a few days (after work).

Paint a few coats let it dry and cure, then wet sand the snot out of it with super fine, few more coats, wet sand, buff like crazy and let sit for a while, clay and wax. It is a single stage paint used for tractors made by Rustolium super hard once it drys and it is self leveling. just used a simple sprayer from a local hardware store, paint and a little thinner. I think it came out ok. I don't see spending more then the car cost for a paint job.

I am going to paint the body of the car the bright orange, the hood, nose, targa top, and windshield frame will be a satin black.

001.jpg

002.jpg

excellent

How about a picture of the sprayer you used, I've been reading web pages on how to paint your car for $50 with a brush and Rustoleum highly diluted, I think your way sounds easier!

I tried the paint roller it takes forever, lots of runs, I did a fender and it did not come out as clean. It is just a top feed sprayer I purchased at lowes for like 39 bucks.

They sell the paint in rattle cans as well, but it will take a lot more sanding.

nice job , and trust me ...

1rst time is the hardest, then will get better and better results in shorter time , + is fun , + you can tell your wife you just saved 1 700 USD ( 300 usd should cover the material cost ) .......
so your doing alot of great stuff, by doing it by your own.
Congrats :)

Good Job from a Pro Painter here =) I like my 3m PPS though, makes my life easy.
Keep it up, now just wait till you get runs on something, or paint doesnt like a certain surface, then it gets fun =)
Darrell

Sweet job; I'm like a lot of people in that I think track car paint jobs should really stand out. You got that going on.
But dude, did you notice somebody stole the center section of your rear panel? They cut it out really nice and clean and all, but that really sucks with all the work you've got to do now.

Yeah I cut it out because I am cutting all the rear interior trunk sheet metal out to make room for my new 2.0 Zetec motor with a MTX75 manual transaxle. I pick the motor up on Thursday. The exhust is going to exit out the middle like a Zonda and I am mounting smaller custom tail lamps in the recess. The car has a goal to be a budget Lotus Elise so all the extra weight needs to go away. The car is going to be very differnt when it is done. I already have a pin on deck lid with a duck tail spoiler built in, and like I said I am picking up the motor this week. I am going to be removing the factory wiring, fuel tank, motor, tranny, shifter, dash, on top of all the other stuff that is already gone. I started a blog for my project cars you can follow along at http://mpmotoringlife.blogspot.com/

Update

Ok I just finished painting the car over at my parents barn, I brought it home this weekend and started sanding, it came out much better then the first deck lid, I am going with a gulf racing inspired look. The hood and targa will also be orange, the deck lid only has one layer of paint, the engine compartment and interior are getting painted black.

x19005.jpg

x19007.jpg

Back