I bought it!

Dave Bassett

True Classic
A 1972 850 Spider is now in my life. Here are some details. it is a daily driver with no rust through, although some "dampness rust" on a few surfaces, notably the partition between the wiper motor and the trunk. The trunk itself is perfectly fine. Its previous owner has had it for twenty years and has put a lot of repairs and maintenance into it. However, over the last few years, he was restoring a now lovely 124 Spider, some minor things have not been addressed. The choke cable is stuck. The doors are out of adjustment. It has an oil leak. the door cards, which have fabric inserts, are frayed, etc. The seller disclosed that the 2nd gear synchro is weak but I did not experience that while driving it. It has an older model transaxle but the original transaxle was included along with many parts such as , a new exhaust system, bulbs and fuses, o-rings, tins, tail light housings, oil pressure sending units, and the list goes on. I will have to catalogue all four boxes of them. It looks like I have enough to keep me busy with what will, I believe, be a rolling restoration.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• Piccolo top down.jpg
    Piccolo top down.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 120
  • Piiccolo top up.jpg
    Piiccolo top up.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 132
If anyone sees ‘Gucci’, the new film, the FIAT company and the Spider get some nice cameos… :)
And, the scene where the 70’s Lamborghini drives up to the cow farm…the passenger door doesn’t properly shut, just like the X19’s don’t. lol. Consistent heritage….

Back