I have some files you might want for your X...

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
I am repainting my car and am putting on the 1974 Roosevelt Motors Laser Stripes on the side. It has been a saga...

I had a set of unused originals (off eBay years ago for $ 30) and as I posted in another thread, when my paint shop went to un-peel the brown backing paper from the vinyl decal, we found that over the decades all the black paint of the stripes that was originally on the vinyl had actually bled onto the brown backing paper. So the paper had a perfect copy of the stripe on it and the vinyl had become completely clear... and useless. So taking Xweb's advice I went to a sign shop. They were initially stumped and just wanted to look at the car...LOL. By the time we were done a week later they wanted a photo so they could put it on their web site :)

Anyway after much discussion we photographed the still-perfect (in layout/ dimensions/look) paper stripes and re-printed onto new vinyl. The cost was a little <cough> steep, <cough> but I can save most of you a great deal of it it you'd like a set of these.

I have to believe I may be the only one in the US with a set of these, because I think they were only done in 1974, and only done by Roosevelt in NJ. In 1975 the Speciale replaced these with the evenly spaced Ladder Stripes. I wish to donate this work to the board so you only need to pay print costs (NO camera, setup, plot or layout costs which is where the real money was.) So consider these a template.

However I do not know how to upload files. I have four, an "edge.plt" a plot file, the AI file, a PRM format file and a PDF. I have attached an image of them below. Anyone help me get these to a place you can all grab the files from? (And finally I get to give back to the board in a small way , Yay!)

4541515313_58ab518dd9_o.jpg

4447803261_4b1fd3d4f1_b.jpg

Do you have a Microsoft Live ID? You do if you've ever established a username and password on almost any Microsoft site, such as MSN, Hotmail, Windows Live, etc.

If you do, go to http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive. Skydrive is a free online place to store up to 25GB of files. Once the files are uploaded you can make then available to anyone.

Most internet service provider (ISP) accounts include some sort of online storage. The principles are usually similar, but every ISP does things a little differently so it would be hard to help you unless someone were familiar with your ISP.

Im Buying a vinyl cutter in the next month or so so i will be able to reproduce any side stripe/decal is there a large demand for these side stripes?

Do you have the file as an illustrator.ai or illustrator.eps, or any other type of eps. vector format?

If you have that or can get that type of file from the graphics shop, then you really have the master key blue print for the laser stripes. From there it could be easily transferred and duplicated across the globe.

Otherwise working from .jpgs or other image files is about as useful as old photographs, and would be very time consuming to trace in a graphics program.

If anyone wants the long explanation on why vector format is superior to pixel based images, let me know and i can drone on and on. (spent some time tracing images into vector format for both work and school, tedious and time consuming:dead:.)

I can host them

Hi Jim,

great work and very generous of you to donate them.
I don't know if I have ever actually seen a car with these stripes on.

I can host the files on my Mirafiori account. Being a free help to the Fiat community, that use would be very much in spirit with Mira.

Please send me a PM with the size of the files and we will work out the details.

PM sent to Ulix

Yes I have the files in four formats, plot, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe reader and PRM. Not sure of that format.

I have sent Ulix a PM who (along with Mike) has graciously offered to host them. I should be able to send them tonight.

Glad to see some interest. I know this is a pretty small thing in the grand scope of the X1/9 world, but I've always felt any little bit of it we can "save" should be cherished.

Jim... WOW...

Great stuff and a great contribution...

It's guys like you that make this site X-CEPTIONAL!

I have long considered going matte black on black with such a thing like this for the subtle approach... ala Mopar in the 70's. (Of cource they also did matte black over Moby Grape also! HA!)

PM sent to Ulix

Yes I have the files in four formats, plot, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe reader and PRM. Not sure of that format.

I have sent Ulix a PM who (along with Mike) has graciously offered to host them. I should be able to send them tonight.

Glad to see some interest. I know this is a pretty small thing in the grand scope of the X1/9 world, but I've always felt any little bit of it we can "save" should be cherished.
Jim - Your stripes are incredible!! Unfortunately the miafirori link is dead. Any chance you can PM me with the file, or perhaps they're posted somewhere else? I'm at michaeloxman7@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!!!

Back