Idle RPM?

abec

Wil
Just wondering what everyone's idle RPM is. My car even when it was stock has had a high idle. Mine is at 1200 right now on my laptop, 1600 on the dash.

I also hear all stock tachs show ~400 over actual rpm...

The dash tach lies....

.... And lies especially badly at low RPMs. If you're going to be setting the idle, you should use a proper tuneup tach and not rely on the in-dash tach.

850 RPM is a good smooth idle for a desmogged carb car with stock cams.

.... And lies especially badly at low RPMs. If you're going to be setting the idle, you should use a proper tuneup tach and not rely on the in-dash tach.

850 RPM is a good smooth idle for a desmogged carb car with stock cams.

I am running desmogged standalone FI, but my stock ECU was even worse at idle. I get an accurate reading out of my ECU, so no need to go by the tach.

Mine is set at

Somewhere between 750 and 800 RPM. I'm running an EFI setup.
Since I've lightened my flywheel, I notice I need a little more acceleration on the pedal to avoid a stall. This didn't affect the idle at all, especially with the engine not under load. I'm sure it has to do with a lightened inertia on the engine, but (IMHO) worth it in quicker acceleration on the road.

Somewhere between 750 and 800 RPM. I'm running an EFI setup.
Since I've lightened my flywheel, I notice I need a little more acceleration on the pedal to avoid a stall. This didn't affect the idle at all, especially with the engine not under load. I'm sure it has to do with a lightened inertia on the engine, but (IMHO) worth it in quicker acceleration on the road.

I also notice that with my lightened flywheel. Yea you get a much quicker throttle, but the engine loses RPM's just as fast. I know a lightened flywheel can cause the engine to hunt during idle, as the RPM's can change much faster.

750-800 I want my idle that low, cops would stop giving me funny looks at the lights... or well maybe that has nothing to do with my idle but it couldn't hurt.

Back