If Chrysler-Fiat happens, will they...

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
actually do repairs on older Fiats?

Not sure what happens in a case like this...but what's your opinion? I know they would not have parts for older models like X1/9's, 850's, 124's, 131's and the like...do you think they would actually support them at all?

I guess even if they did minimal support (tune-ups, oil change, wheel balancing, etc) that would be a plus, do you think there will ever be a day when you could drive your X into a Chrysler dealership and be able to expect *some* service? Sounds farfetched to me, but any hope you think?

The bigger question is...

...would you want a Chrysler dealer do to work on your old FIAT?....

Its all in the relationships.

Kinda independent of the possible sale.

I have found that going to different dealerships and talking to the service manger sometimes has the best results. I actually got lucky once when I was on a trip because I was having issues with my X and while trying to find a "foreign" car repair place I saw an X parked in an employee parking lot. I went in and found out he was actually one of the mechanics. They had me up and running (alternator go figure) in no time. He did the one wire GM swap in his X so did the same on mine.

Odie

No FIAT repairs at Chrysler dealerships....

....at least until they hire a couple of mechanics named Tony!:p

My personal guess based on nothing is that smaller Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships in larger metro areas, which are the ones that are hurting the most according to what I read in Wards, will be asked and/or encouraged to exchange their Chrysler franchise for a FIAT franchise, and they would sell FIATs and maybe other FIAT brands like Alfa if and when they decide to bring them over. This could get off the ground in a matter of six months, allowing FIAT to start selling cars here in the USA almost immediately, which is what they really want from this deal with Chrysler. Giving Chrysler access to FIAT products on which they can base future cars won't accrue to either company's bottom line for 2-3 years.

In order for this to work, these dealers would have to have at least three or four very high quality cars to sell to the public, cars that are at least as good as the equivalent Japanese or Korean cars. I would think that these cars would be prime candidates:

1. CinqueCento (new 500), currently made in Poland. I think FIAT should heavily use the Italian "name" for the 500 in its marketing in order to play up the novelty of the car which is its main selling point as with the Mini.

2. Bravo (Ritmo in Australia), a year old car now made in Italy that is scheduled for South American production in late 2009. Very modern, enineered by Steyr of Austria. Styled like a crossover, think Toyota Matrix.

3. Linea, which now competes quite well with Civics and Corollas in S. America.

4. Grande Punto is a mature design which in the American market would compete well with Honda Fits, Toyota Yaris, and the smallest Hundai.

5. Croma II is FIAT's entry in the very compeitive Camry/Accord class of vehicle. This car is based on the GM Epsilon platform acquired during FIATs association with GM in the early 2000s. The current Saab 9-3, Saturn Aura, and Chevy Malibu are also based on this platform.

FIAT might want to take a chance on the expected "return of the diesel" to the American car scene by bringing over at least one diesel version of each of whatever cars it picks from #2-5.

As for repairs or parts for older cars, who are they gonna get to repair them? The best I think we could hope for is some sort of enthusiasts access to whatever NOS parts stocks are available in FIAT European warehouses, which if they had any business sense would be zero.

Think about it

Think about it for a moment. They won't have any documentation, training or parts catalogs or access to inventory. So its not likely that any dealer would solicit that business.

Consider that you don't see many vintage Chevrolets or Fords at those dealers. For those same reasons.

I totally agree with Steve

Thinking again,
Would you trust ANYONE who has (likely) never seen an X1/9 monkey-around with your car?
No documentation, no parts, no sources, no experience? I think not!

The longer I have mine, the worse I get regarding ANYONE (minus you folks here, of course!)
doing mechanical work on my X. You really have to spend time (literally) on these cars
to know them. My 2 cents :2c:

I agree....

Chrysler is going to try, as a result of it's new-found worth to Fiat, to make money pimping Fiats and Fiat needs a distribution channel for it's 'selling like hotcakes' Uber-Mini. So now the Chrysler mechanics and service personnel are instantly Fiat friendly? That's quite a far fetch, to put it mildly. The primary service issue is going to be the little 500 itself, which will be quite enough.....we shouldn't expect them to recognize our cars any faster than they did before, which was not fast at all. We live in an automotive dystopia....whether this 500 is going to even sell is where it's at.

Service departments for dealerships are dicey things at best, even WITH THE BRAND THEY SELL. I think the operative term is "monkeying with" as that's about all alot of them do anyway......though there are good ones. I echo the sentiment that you have to spend lots of time with these cars and the people that are particularly competent with them is dwindling. My mechanic (who's been working on Fiats and X's since new) says persistently that the curtains are drawing on the whole thing. I don't go that far, I just want a parts supply and to be able to do as much as I can myself....oh yeah....guys ENJOY doing that sort've thing. On the other hand....changing a timing belt in an X1/9 isn't my idea of a relaxing afternoon either.

It's very very important to keep in mind that none, NONE, of these resurging Italian (remember, Ferrari never left) marques into the states is that they do not, will not, cannot, support their old stuff. Their etnrance into the American market is tentative at best. As far as vintage goes.....forget it. Just to put it into to perspect, International Auto provides parts for Alfa, Fiat, Lancia, lots of parts. All of the Italian part business they do per annum reflects less than 15% of their total business, and that's dropping. Where does the rest come from? Little known fact is that the Internation Auto, Inc. has a sister company that sells "Sharper Image" type stuff from a catalog, and yes, that's the bulk of their business.

So let's see....am I going to buy a solar powered personal groomer or a K & N for my X1/9????

Last edited:
I'm with Bob...

I don't let anyone else work on my cars. I have my '87 Bertone, my '88 Vanagon, and Dr. Wifey drives an '83 BMW. Why would I pay someone else to screw them up when I can screw them up myself?:rolleyes:

VW pretends the Vanagon doesn't even exist these days. Same with BMW and my wife's 320i. We know what Fiat thinks of us.:censored:

parts & service

actually do repairs on older Fiats?

Not sure what happens in a case like this...but what's your opinion? I know they would not have parts for older models like X1/9's, 850's, 124's, 131's and the like...do you think they would actually support them at all?

I guess even if they did minimal support (tune-ups, oil change, wheel balancing, etc) that would be a plus, do you think there will ever be a day when you could drive your X into a Chrysler dealership and be able to expect *some* service? Sounds farfetched to me, but any hope you think?

I know companies that do the same thing I do where Fiats have been sold continuously. You go into a Fiat dealer & ask for a vintage part, they have a list from Fiat of the folks that supply vintage parts, and they will either procure you the part(s), probably at a profit, or will just tell you where to go.

As for service, it's up to the dealer to decide what they want to service. Some current Fiat dealers will service any Fiat of any vintage (I'm thinking Stangulini, which still sells new cars), some don't want to touch the old stuff.

From where I sit, as being the only dealer left in North America still recognized by Fiat, the Chrysler deal will make no difference. The dealers selling new cars will only find out about me if I tell them. We do feel it will bring interest in our old cars, so be prepared for prices to rise accordingly.

But realize that the Chrysler deal will do nothing about vintage parts needs as I estimate shared parts at less than 1%.

BTW, I still know a place you can drive in to get your Fiat serviced here in America, but you had better have an appointment!

I don't think so...

I worked at an Audi dealer in 1980 and they refused to work on the old Audi 100LS which was only like 5 years old!

Dealers like to work on new cars, which they have training and parts for. On top of that, don't expect any parts to be imported into the US for the older cars. It's just too expensive to bring inventory in and have it sit around.

I just hope (and pray) the Chrysler dealers are enthusiastic about working on the NEW cars and they have enough training and parts to support them.

I Can See It Now...

I take my X to the local Chrysler/Jeep dealer for my 120,000 mile check-up. The mechanic walks around the car with his analyzer in hand. "Where do I plug this thing in?"

Or worse, he finds a spot and gives me the bill...HA!

Fwiw

When I visited the UK (where Fiat never even left their market) I could not even get a Fiat dealership parts desk that could find me an X1/9 key blank... I finally did after trying several, but point being, if even there that simple request is a hit or miss, I would not be holding my breath for jack in the way of support of older Fiats from any new US Fiat dealer... if, that is, as noted above, you'd even want a random Chrysler shop working on your X1/9... :hmm: :confuse2:

I agree with Steve most folks with vintage cars fix em themselves any ways

You know what scares me the most bout this merger. Mopar guys... just the other day a dude with a Fiat Ram Quad cab, asked me if my x had a HEMI in it :confuse2:

Just a side note. I pulled into a Lexus dealership a few years ago and needed oil for my Alfa and they gave me 3 quarts for free. Some dealers take customer service realy serious....:)

I agree with Steve most folks with vintage cars fix em themselves any ways

You know what scares me the most bout this merger. Mopar guys... just the other day a dude with a Fiat Ram Quad cab, asked me if my x had a HEMI in it :confuse2:

I belive Fiat has made some Hemi engines over the years. Not sure if the SOHC is one though. Bet that was not the reason for the original question from the Mopar Dude.

I read in a trade magazine the other day that this Fiat/Chrysler agreement may result in the return of smaller tire sizes to North America. Mabye there is hope yet for our beloved 185/60/13

Back