If it's worth doing once...

HazN

True Classic
I posted this on Mira and now here to see what you all think. The new cluch slave cylinder I got from Vick's two years ago(and 5K miles) is leaking on my '86 X. Got a new one on order. At least I know the job. Any thoughts on decreased longevity of cylinder seals? I used Castrol GT LMA.

Haz

Yep... I dunno what Castrol GT LMA is...

but it is supposed ta be Dot 3 and 4 compatible... and the Casttol site says it EXCEEDS Dot 3 and 4 standards. Maybe its a Dot 4.5, but if its DOT 5 category synthetic, then the seals don't have a chance.

DOT 3 is what I use... and DOT 4 is s'pposed ta be OK... but I understand the DOT 5's need special seals everywhere or else they eat'um up.

I replaced my cylinders once at about 150K and they are still good after about 5 years and 10K... I use CHEAP NO NAME DOT 3 from WALMART...

Maybe you spent too much... or my life is more CHARMED than I thought!

Actually... I REALLY think many of the cylinders have been ROTTING on the shelves for 20 years... even though sealed... they age... Lots of this kinda thing going around though... and its funny that the ORIGINALS lasted 30 years and the replacements last TWO...

Sorry for your trouble...

... and its funny that the ORIGINALS lasted 30 years and the replacements last TWO...

Except it really, deeply, truly is NOT funny. My Black & Tan '86 had 12K miles on it when I got it 5-ish years ago. I've driven it to 56K and have gone through three clutch MC's, one brake MC, and one clutch slave. Now, I think it's fair to not expect 30 year old equipment on a car which hasn't seen much maint. to last very long after being put back into operation. But not getting more than a year (or so) out of a replacement part is shameful. I'm looking into re-sleeving, 'cuz I'm not getting any younger and I don't need swapping in more poor quality parts to be a feature of my remaining time on this planet.

John O.

This makes sense.

One suggestion that I received was that there may have been some shelf rust prior to installation. Fine enough to last as long as it did. I'll inspect the new part before installation and inspect the old part after removal. Stay tuned.

On closer inspection...

I stuck my finger in the bore and it came out black. Almost like thin paint.

The bore felt smooth. Evidently (and I'm just guessing here) the piston seal degraded. Or maybe it was the attached supply hose that caused an abrasive effect.

The new part is from International and the brand is Metelli.

The bore felt smooth. Evidently (and I'm just guessing here) the piston seal degraded.

Huge problem with aftermarket rubber parts is their very low quality... and parts targeted for older classics are particularly bad. I've bought exterior rubber trim and weather strip that have failed in less than a year. I swear they're making this stuff out of old bicycle tubes...:mad:

Hmmm, sludge from fluid reservoir maybe..?

IMHO, it's a helluva good idea to remove and drain out the residue from the fluid reservoir BEFORE you start bleeding the system - this applies to both the clutch and brake reservoirs!

Considering how long the reservoirs have been sitting UNTOUCHED (other than for topping up) in our X's, you can imagine just how much crappy, sludgy residue is laying in the bottom of the reservoir! :eek:

This practice has been one of my own personal "crazy's" for every car that I have owned, prior to bleeding the hydraulic system whenever a brake/clutch component needed replacing!

Just a suggestion that this may well be the crap that's now in your new cylinder! :cry:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Last edited:
For the record...

Both reservoirs are sludge free. I want these cars to continue being on the road. A regular flush 'n fill is standard maintenance. I had a number of comments about a supply of bad slaves. This makes the most sense since it was the slave end that was slimed. Thanks to all for your input!

Addendum: The slave was the only part that had the seal slime. The hose to the slave was clean. Therefor the idea that there was a faulty seal compound is confirmed.

Last edited:
Back