Ignition key stuck?

mmudge

True Classic
I'm more inclined to believe that the guy I got the X from got his keys mixed up, since he has about a dozen Fiats at his place.

I cannot get the barrel to rotate to release the steering column lock or start the car. The car has been sitting since 1991 but was moved once 3 years ago.

I guess I'll pull the column cover and see if there's anything going on in there but I sure don't want to be drilling out a switch.

TIA,

Mudge

They can jam pretty tight...

... if the car has been moved around with the key in it. Side pressure on the wheels translates into forced rotation of the column, which jams the key. If you haven't already tried this, undo the universal joint in the steering column, give the key slot a serious dose of graphite spray, and then try rocking the wheel back and forth hard with one hand while gently rotating the key back and forth.

If that doesn't work, well, one of the few good things about having a different key for the ignition and the locks is that you can replace the whole steering column, ignition switch and all, with another one without having to get anything rekeyed.

Last edited:
If I understand the problem, you can not turn the key and you steering column is locked. If the column is locked and you can't turn the key, you should be able to turn the wheel a little. Try turning/rocking the wheel while turning the key. Page 8 of the 1974 owners manual discribes the process.

Drilling it out is not that bad..

I did it in the parking lot of Matt Brannon's shop during one of our Spring get-togethers. Pop the column cover, two bolts to drill out and it's done. When you put the new one in (if you go this route) don't torque off the attachment bolt heads. That way it can come back out easily if needed.

Back