In over my head again...

pdxgeo

True Classic
Dropped the gas tank on SplitPea today to change all hoses. Dang I didn't know there'd be 6 of them...

For one the fuel filler overflow hose is not readily available so I bought 5/8 ID fuel line hose but the OD is WAY thicker than the OEM stuff so squeezing it through the holes in the body is really tricky.

Got all hoses changed and somewhat routed but I cannot pull the hoses through the body and lift the tank back into position. Had my wife lifting the tank while I tried pulling the hoses. Nope.

The manual says nothing of this but is it advisable to drop the muffler? So many things impede the tank from lifting into position. I called a mobile mechanic off CL. Prob cost 50 but will be worth it. Especially if it solves the reason for the 16mpg I've been getting...

Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

soap.

This is a pita of a job, but if you lube up the hoses, they will slide through the body work much easier. It really is a stupid fiddly job.

Good luck!

New gas tank question

Thanks mike and Jeff, gas tank back in place and car running. Went to fill it up and at half a tank it started spewing fuel as if full. is it possible there was an air bubble in the tank that caused this "blockage'? I want to fill it to see is there are any leaks towards the top of the tank but dont want fuel all over the paint...yikes

If the fuel was coming out of the filler it has to be one of two things. Either the vent line is clogged or kinked, or the tank was actually full and the sender is not reading correctly.

The vent line allows air displaced by the fuel entering the tank to escape.

Thanks greg. It would seem like the vent line is the issue. I can see the line except where it goes through the body just before the tank. The hose has a larger OD than the original one so it is certainly squeezed through the holes but not enough to collapse it...

The tank was definitely almost empty. I had it completely out. The gauge reads about half and there's close to 5 gallons in there.

I drove it a bit and tried it again and it will not take more fuel. Aaaahhh! Gonna need to drop it again and maybe swap that hose...

got worse before better

while I was working at a clients house pressure was building in the tank. i came out to find gas spilling out of the cap. took about a 1" x 6" swath of paint off the wheelarch where it meets the mudflap.

Took it to a shop and we lowered the tank enough to see the vent line kinked beyond belief. Pulled it through the body to straighten it out, bolted the tank back in and filled it. It filled! hopefully the problem is solved.

If you ever replace your fuel lines make sure you pull all the "vent" hoses as far through the body as you can so none of them get kinked or squashed.

Last edited:
Back