Insertable Headlight Mod-Headlights Recommendations?

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
FINALLY did Bob Brown's insertable headlight mod yesterday with my friend Paul Silva.

I did not yet buy new headlights and yet seemd to notice the existing lights were much brighter after completion. I suspect this is because of the new power source in the mod? The Insertable's were fairly easy to put in even for two non-electricians. Thanks again Bob!

Other than somehow disconnecting my horn in the process (right pod?) I was wondering is anyone had a link on the headlights that would work well. I have a 77 body and was thinking of sealed beam 7 inch Hella's. Anyone have a good source they would recommend? Or a better idea on lights?

I have ran Hella and Bosch, the Hella pattern is not right, if you get the low beam aimed right then the High beam is to high. The Bosch has a better pattern and the reflectors last longer, I have had Hella's reflectors degrade in as little as 7 years, I have a 20 year old Bosch that is still great.

My son is researching replacement lights for his Miata and has come to the conclusion that the Cibie is the best of the lot, better reflectors and optics. They're not as cheap as the Hella's and a lot harder to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-x-CIBIE-7-ROU...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483d61f531

Found the site.

http://danielsternlighting.com/

I would use Cibie if I could afford them, Bosch second and Hella as a 3rd choice.

Last edited:
Interesting. My Hellas are almost twenty years old. Maybe they don't make them like they used to.

Interesting. My Hellas are almost twenty years old. Maybe they don't make them like they used to.

Same here. I've used Hellas in dozens of cars over the years and never had a problem. I'd buy 'em again if I ever need another set.

///Mike

I have a couple older Hella's as well, I have just had more problems with them than the Bosch. the only failure I had with Bosch was a rock. I found that the bosch seemed to have a better light output than the Hella when new plus the pattern was better, when the low beam was set right the high beam was correct also. the hella's high beam was always high when the low beam was set right.

The Bosch lens seems to be stronger as well, could take a rock hit better. I still have a Hella with rock chips that go through the lens and they crack as well. with the Bosch I have never had a chip go through or a crack they either survived or failed catastrophically.

I just did the same mod 2 weekends ago.

I ordered a kit from LMC truck for a 66 chevy PU. Had to extend the battery wires 16". The rest fit perfectly. I put is Sylvania H4 sealed beam light (had in stock). The lights are as bright as any car I have owned. Did it just in time cus its now dark when I get home from work. Got a few drives before the snow flew......

Last edited:
Back