Inside Rearview Mirror Mounting

scott h

Low Mileage
I’ve heard of people creating a mount from center sun visor mount to attach their inside rearview mirror to. Does anybody have the details on how they did this? What mirror was used and do you have photos?

Thanks,
Scott

No idea how it is often done on X1/20's. But perhaps one option might be to mount it on the dash, extending up to your desired position.

047 - Copy.JPG

Very classic Italian styling. I've done that conversion on several of my vintage cars.

Its 2023. Get a forward and rear dashcam with large display screen with windshield suction mount. Lots more benefits of using the dashcam over just a mirror.

I think I’ll do the gumball version before screwing a bracket into a vinyl and foam dash.
The dash is metal under the vinyl and foam. A mirror mounted that way is extremely secure....if that was your thought. ;) But I understand, the custom styling of it won't be for everyone. :)

I believe his question pertains to a Scorpion. The dash is pretty low in the center on a Scorpion. If you mounted a rear view mirror on the dash it would have to have a comically long stem. Probably not a good choice.

I believe his question pertains to a Scorpion. The dash is pretty low in the center on a Scorpion. If you mounted a rear view mirror on the dash it would have to have a comically long stem. Probably not a good choice.
As I stated earlier, unfortunately I don't know about Scorpions. So my thoughts were based on X's. Makes sense now, thanks. :)

I have seen a rear view mounted from above the window. Sorry, no pictures
My 77 has the mirror mounted above the window. The car has a replacement windshield (not the new batch we just all received) that has the gasket around it and no square for the mirror to be glued. Not sure what car they got the mirror from, but it works and it looks OEM, perhaps taken from a Zagato or ??

Hard to get a good photo of it with the car in the dark corner of the shop and the double bubble installed but here is a look, anyone recognize it?
IMG_7329.jpg

IMG_7331.jpg

Back