Installing a motorcycle engine in an X1/9

Xmember

True Classic
I know its been done a lot over in Europe for hill climb cars, but how exactly is it done? Any particular engine/year etc..? ID like to see a write-up or link of whats involved. Maybe even a DIY thread if someones done this. Same with installing motorcycle ITBs/carbs onto an X (preferably a carbed 1500 as theyre the most common) and I know there are a few members here who have done this also. Please make a DIY for this and include the details that get left out in most DIY's like the exact year make and model of the donor bike & carbs, jet sizes, etc etc.. Its always been my dream to own an open SCCA style X1/9 with a boig? body kit and high power bike motor in the back (possibly with a small turbo)
scca_1.jpg

x19_race_28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW can an admin please change the thread title so it reads "motorcycle" and not "mototcycle" Spelling > me

Superbike engines are a pretty attractive option for some purposes. I've had a plan to build up a vehicle - probably a Locost-type chassis - for nearly 10 years. Last time I was in the UK I visited the Westfield factory and went out in a Hayabusa-powered model with one of the chief engineers. It was one of the most exhilarating rides i've ever had!

Putting a bike engine into transverse layout is probably easier that the conventional inline/front engine setup. My feeling though that an X is far too heavy a chassis for this to be ideal. The Se7en clones weigh about 1000lbs - half what an X is. Bike engines don't have much in the way of low end and the extra mass would put a huge amount of stress on the bike transmission.

If one is intent on replacing the Fiat lump, i've seen quite a few interesting car-based powerplants. My WedgeX racer tips the scales at about 1500 lbs and has the advantage of lots of extra room in the engine bay. Given healthy doses of time, money and motivation concurrently, I'd probably try some of them :wink2: I still long for that wail of a bike engine and full-throttle upshifts though... :wink2:

I know in the old forum this was discussed , and the debate on wether the bike clutch could handle the mass of an X was debated. I guess I should be more clear on my intent, Totally strip the X , minus headlights,and heat. I would then use only the speed/tach binnacle and make a custom dash from thin ply wood of 14ga aluminum then cover everything with alcantara/micro suede doors would be stripped of all glass (Id find a non power window car) Then make my own plain door cards out of card board and cover with micro suede Door pulls would be F40 style , remove all insulation under the carpet then reinstall, depending if the sequential shifter from the bike could be used or no would determine if the center console would stay or go, and I would lighten the car else-where if possible such as removing the rear trunk, fenders are naturally replaced with the fiberglass kit , as is the front of the car. I figure the car would be at least a few hundred lbs lighter and I think this is really possible since so many euro hill climb cars have/are doing this..... 12k rpm in an X1/9 is like angels singing. Oh to dream:rolleyes2:

I know there's a fair number of cars on here http://www.zanga106.it/ that are motorcycle engined as there's a class for them in Europe. Some interesting engineering to be sure. If I were, and I have debated it, Hyabusa or ZX-14 to give the transmission a shot of surviving. And think of the gearing possibilities, just by playing with sprockets:nod:

Jsut FYI - You can edit the title of your own post

The secret is to click on "Go Advanced" after you click the Edit button. The "Go Advanced" button is in the lower right corner of the stock Edit dialog box. Once you click "Go Advanced" the screen will refresh with the post title editable.

Hey, Mark....

Speaking of your FIAT lump, are you going to drag it out for the OR 2010 Track Day event this year? The planning process has begun, and to all indications, the Track Day will be on July 16 this year.

And for all who don't know, the Track Day is part of the Oregon FIAT Gathering that is organized by the Mirafiori.com forum. The overall event takes place at Howard Prairie Lake Resort in southern Oregon, at the campsite right next to the lake. A perfect and beautiful setting.
Like this:
DSCN2604.jpg
DSCN2583.jpg

The Track Day is held at the Jackson County Sports Park near Medford, OR. The track is a go-kart track that is configurable for a number of different courses and perfect for a track day. This is me in my car:
IMG_5282_CR2.jpg

Stay tuned for details.
Ciao,

Actually it's a must considering both bikes are geared for around 100 mph in 1st:eyepop: Mind you the X's tire od is different the bike's, but you get the idea.

Actually it's a must considering both bikes are geared for around 100 mph in 1st:eyepop: Mind you the X's tire od is different the bike's, but you get the idea.
yeah 1st gear autocross (with an occasional 2nd gear) and never over reving ;) lol

Back