Installing door checks

mmudge

True Classic
WTF? When I do finally wrangle them into place the door won't close and makes the plate on the B pillar flex. I'm afraid if I push too hard the supports will push thru.

Mudge

I installed one recently...

WTF? When I do finally wrangle them into place the door won't close and makes the plate on the B pillar flex. I'm afraid if I push too hard the supports will push thru.

Mudge

And it pretty much was a RPITA. The only one I could find on my parts cars was a right side one, and I needed it for the left. They kind of have a curve built into them, but I believe they are interchangable as long as you flip it upside down for the other side (someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I got it on the car and it seems to work).

So the question is, do you have it upside down?

Pete

It should be in correctly

I got a new pair from C Obert & Co ant they were marked left and right. Assuming that "left" is the driver side I should be okay.

I'll go whine to Chris. He loves it! ;)

I hate those! Got a new one last year from Midwest, but it was a replacement off of some other Fiat with straight (not curved) wire. Had to order a used one. Apparently I was supposed to bend it or something. :mallet:

Maybe......

....I'll cut up some old black seatbelts and use them instead. They did this with leather straps on the 600's.

did you get it on yet? Like the other poster mentioned, install in the door first, then use large pipe pliers (not sure what to call these) and get the door open and to the correct angle. I also liberally applied grease, helped it to go in.

Got the passenger side done

....but the check for the driver side was incorrectly bagged. I ended up with 2 passenger checks. yes, the wires are curved and just trying to flip the spring over won't do the trick, though I don't know why. So I have to return it and wait for a replacement to be sent. It's not a big deal because I'm careful. I'm happy that the pass side worked out though. Some of my friends don't know better but now I have protection.

Mudge

I'm not exactly sure what we're talking about so forgive the hijack but I have the opposite problem (I think) my doors won't stay open on their own at the "most open" position. Is there something that can be done about that, it has caused a few minor injuries already. You know what I mean, open the door all the way and it comes back to mid-way, won't stay open.

Lemme try this......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/mikemudge/001-[IMG

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/mikemudge/001-Copy.jpg

002-Copy.jpg

Assuming this worked.....The dip has to be on the bottom since that's where the roller sits when the door is open. If the dip is on top the door will not stay open and in my case the door won't close. In the picture where I'm holding the spring upright, You can see a moderate curve in the spring. This one you see is for the passenger door, having a sweep to the right. The driver door spring should have a curve to the left. I am going to take out the one you see in the picture and bend it in the correct direction and see if this solves the problem.

Last edited:
Door checks

Guys, you're making this way too hard.

X19 door checks are interchangable left and right side.

All cars came from the factory with this style here:

left-side-b.jpg

These were not servicable and when the spring broke you had to get a whole new unit.

Fiat NA started offering a two-piece servicable unit as spare parts through dealer network. These were never supplied on the production line are but are what you would get if you needed one from the parts department:

fiat-doorcheck-strada.jpg

Below are pix of door checks being installed. This is a 5-min operation max for remove and replace.

right-side-a.jpg

right-side-b.jpg

right-side-c.jpg

right-side-d.jpg

right-side-e.jpg

Mudge...

I think the prob you're having is that X19 door checks MUST have the dog-leg bend in them. The spring in the picture you posted is incorrect.

A previous post up higher alluded to Midwest sending out a problematic check, it was in-fact a straight one which got mixed up in the bin and someone didn't catch it (no pun intended).

If it doesn't have the dog-leg, it will get hung up in the door when fully compressed upon closing.

-M

Door checks

Hi guys
I had a bunch of these door checks made. For now I have the housing, needs plating.
I can have the springs made and turn the wheels, assembling the whole set. I need commitments to buy before I go ahead.
Price? I'll have to check up.

serviceable ?

Matt,
I believe the OEM's are serviceable, sort-of. One can drill out the pin and replace the spring - if you can get one.

And now....for the rest of the story.

Sort of anticlimactic at this point since Matt beat me to the punch but here it is anyway. Behind the mounting point of the assembly about 1 1/2 to 2" is a reinforcement plate for the door. There is a round hole stamped into the support to allow the check room to move. However, the spring moves back and in..a la....sweep. So if you have a straight spring it just ain't gonna work. Something about the Angle of the Dangle:bla::bla:

I manhandled my straight spring till I got it to this point and the universe is in harmony once more. BTW....as you see in the pix the roller assy can be reused but you have to shave a tad off each tip to work it thru the housing.
check2.jpg

check1.jpg

....but the check for the driver side was incorrectly bagged. I ended up with 2 passenger checks. yes, the wires are curved and just trying to flip the spring over won't do the trick, though I don't know why. So I have to return it and wait for a replacement to be sent. It's not a big deal because I'm careful. I'm happy that the pass side worked out though. Some of my friends don't know better but now I have protection.

Mudge

In reality these parts fit LOTS of Fiats.
Years ago we discovered that there really where different lengths of springs, and different curvatures of the spring. But Fiat did not agree, and sent us ONE assembly to replace everything. If you check out my web page it states that sometimes the spring will need a bit more curvature to clear internal parts of the door...

Currently it's real hard to get complete assemblies, and all my sources have back ordered them. I stock the plastic bush (it rarely wears out), and I found one supplier that offers just the spring. They claim there is a right & a left, and sometimes all the springs they send me look the same, and sometimes the slight curvature of the spring really makes them a right & left. I don't personally feel it makes any difference, so we arbitrarily assigned one as right & the other as left... My supplier is not consistent, but I am trying to be!

It sounds like Mudge discovered what it takes to install one, and Matt gives us a good tutorial.
Is the problem with door check springs now solved?

As an afterthought....

If either of your doors have been damaged from an accident your tolerance could be off a little inside the door. That's when you man-up and start bending ****.:grin:

Your posts will help me, too

My new door check straps are in my parts bin awaiting the completion of my X's paintwork.
All your tips will help me soon. Thanks!

Back