Interesting story

Thank you for introducing me to another automotive website where I can waste my time.

Weird comparison here.

The article acknowledges that "they're very different", and I understand there's a difference between which car I like better, and which would be a more daunting restoration project. They both have parts bin engineering in common, and the Fiat parts bin is less intimidating than the Maserati/Citroen one for me. They are also both mid-engine configurations, as the SM's is behind the front axle.

I see the Scorpion is from the Inland Empire in California and looks like it's been quite dry inside & out. The Citroen seems to have come from a more humid environment. The Lancia's left rear fender looks worse than the right rear one in the CL ad, each requiring significant attention. We all know "what lies beneath" the carpet and rear bulkhead upholstery in the Lancia. I don't see the point of 16' Ferrari wheels, which to my eye are too big for the car.14x98 Alfetta GT alloys 14 bolt right on and they're only 12 pounds each.

I admit that I just don't get the SM. I'll take the author's word for it that I would if I saw one in person. Still, I think the one in the article would be less of a headache than the Lancia. Maybe more expensive though. Of course, there's all that we can't see in the photos of each car, but based on what's pictured, I'd rather restore the Citroen.

If I could add a "Chose Your Own Adventure" option to the article, it would be to fulfill the V6 dream (both the factory's and the owner's), and create the poor man's Merak out of the Lancia. I mean, try to hate that... Add '77 rear buttresses without glass and Monty bumpers and Giacomo's your uncle.

Weird comparison here.

The article acknowledges that "they're very different", and I understand there's a difference between which car I like better, and which would be a more daunting restoration project. They both have parts bin engineering in common, and the Fiat parts bin is less intimidating than the Maserati/Citroen one for me. They are also both mid-engine configurations, as the SM's is behind the front axle.

I see the Scorpion is from the Inland Empire in California and looks like it's been quite dry inside & out. The Citroen seems to have come from a more humid environment. The Lancia's left rear fender looks worse than the right rear one in the CL ad, each requiring significant attention. We all know "what lies beneath" the carpet and rear bulkhead upholstery in the Lancia. I don't see the point of 16' Ferrari wheels, which to my eye are too big for the car.14x98 Alfetta GT alloys 14 bolt right on and they're only 12 pounds each.

I admit that I just don't get the SM. I'll take the author's word for it that I would if I saw one in person. Still, I think the one in the article would be less of a headache than the Lancia. Maybe more expensive though. Of course, there's all that we can't see in the photos of each car, but based on what's pictured, I'd rather restore the Citroen.

If I could add a "Chose Your Own Adventure" option to the article, it would be to fulfill the V6 dream (both the factory's and the owner's), and create the poor man's Merak out of the Lancia. I mean, try to hate that... Add '77 rear buttresses without glass and Monty bumpers and Giacomo's your uncle.
There is no headache like a hydraulic Citroen Except maybe a vacuum Mercedes 450SLC.

14x98 Alfetta GT alloys 14 bolt right on and they're only 12 pounds each.

Add '77 rear buttresses without glass and Monty bumpers and Giacomo's your uncle.

My uncle is Bud.
41F49080-F26B-4167-9BD6-D796091FFC23.jpeg

Unsure how many other 77s have seen without the glass, a couple. Funny thing is figuring it would be hard to find again instead of keeping my originals in the shop for safer storage I’ve had them under my bed last 30 years.

Last edited:
My uncle is Bud.
View attachment 71083

Unsure how many other 77s have seen without the glass, a couple. Funny thing is figuring it would be hard to find again instead of keeping my originals in the shop for safer storage I’ve had them under my bed last 30 years.
I have 2 of those wheels. An employee stole the other 2 years ago and sold then for crack! no joke! Would love to find 2 more for a reasonable price. I have the buttresses. So using them with no glass may be an option. Actually never thought of that. i never had the glass.

I have 2 of those wheels. An employee stole the other 2 years ago and sold then for crack! no joke! Would love to find 2 more for a reasonable price. I have the buttresses. So using them with no glass may be an option. Actually never thought of that. i never had the glass.
I believe you. My father was robbed and murdered in his driveway for $ for crack.

The buttress glass is a pain to keep clean. And traps leaves, maple tree helicopter seeds, cherry tree berries and blossoms,... between the glass and lower sill plate.

The Citroen SM is an engineering marvel and takes a mechanical engineer to restore. I've driven a couple. Not a sports car to toss around but glorious in its uniqueness. I had a CX as a daily driver, inspired but a mere shadow of the SM.

Back