Interstate 95 has two speeds

carl

True Classic
Came back from a wedding on Long Island yesterday and took the Jersey Turnpike to 95 to home in Northern Virginia. You either do 85mph and be nice and move over when cars going even faster come up on you (not uncommon) or you do 10mph. Unfortunately we did mostly 10mph. My wife had to keep telling me how lucky we were that we didn't have four screaming kids in the back, I told her I was practicing for our drive to the Outer Banks in August. I had to laugh at how far a 124 spider or X would have gone before the cooling system would have given up.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Came back from a wedding on Long Island yesterday and took the Jersey Turnpike to 95 to home in Northern Virginia. You either do 85mph and be nice and move over when cars going even faster come up on you (not uncommon) or you do 10mph. Unfortunately we did mostly 10mph. My wife had to keep telling me how lucky we were that we didn't have four screaming kids in the back, I told her I was practicing for our drive to the Outer Banks in August. I had to laugh at how far a 124 spider or X would have gone before the cooling system would have given up.

Thank you for letting me vent.
Welcome to New Jersey!

We used to do this drive all the time when my inlaws were alive, they lived in West Hempstead out on the Island. Twenty years ago the traffic was not bad on non-holiday weeks...so of course we always went there for Thanks giving...which ticked off my mom since my folks lived about 13 miles from us! Coming home I remembered to just off the JT onto 295 at exit 7. A much more pleasant alternative.

It seemed this drive was much more fun when my buddy and I used to race bikes at Bridgehampton.....possibly due to having lots more fun when we got to our destination.

Dherr, yea, same crap but I don't usually head south. Always amazed me how we would all be doing 80 nose to tail coming north out of Richmond with no forty car pileups, NASCAR would be proud.

I lived in St. Augustine Florida for several years. I spent a lot of time on I-95 between Jacksonville and Titusville but the stretch between Jacksonville and Daytona was one of the fastest stretches of interstate I have ever seen. Traffic typically moves at 85 mph and the Florida troopers pretty much ignor anything under 85. Its common to be cruising at 85 and get passed every few minutes by someone at close to 100. Its also common to get passed by someone at well over 100.

I ended up in court one morning to fight a ticket I had gotten expired insurance (I had changed insurers and the new carrier couldn't get the ID cards right). While awaiting my case I watched the judge call case after case after case for speeding on I-95 at over 100 mph. There were more than a dozen of them. I spoke to the cop, who had issued my insurance citation, and he said they didn't bother to go after anyone for less than 90, unless they were doing something really stupid because there were so many opportunities to nab people for 90+.

There was one bright spot on the drive home. To get from the LIE to the NJ turnpike we had to go over the George Washington bridge. Coming up the entrance ramp onto the bridge was a bright red Ferrari. No clue what model but a modern one with very swoopy lines. The driver was clearly not intimidated by the medium traffic or crumbling pavement, he got on it hard going up the bridge.

I used to live in south Florida (Hollywood/Ft.Lauderdale, but I escaped!), but went to college in Brooklyn.. I think my best time from Brooklyn to Hollywood was 18 hours, in a 240z I-95 the whole way....😁

Life in New Jersey. My unending refrain in the car - "look at this kids - I'm going 15 miles over the speed limit in the right lane and I'm the slowest car on the road." That's when the cars are actually moving. Otherwise its the 10mph as described.

Back