Is it physically possible to change a cam belt on X1/9 with engine in car

duderduderini

True Classic
Hi There fellow single cammers.
OK had the car 4weeks now still wont start.. recod the carby, got electronic ignition got it setup as per the book only to find that the camshaft mark is way out or 2.5 teeth to be exact... I guess a new cambelt is in order but wait.. holy shrunken hands batman what's this? I cant get the cam cover out of the way with the engine in situ. So do i
1. recruit a witch doctor and shrink myself
2.recruit a priest and have the car excorsized?
3. Call Microsoft tech support
4. Blame George Bush
5.Ask BP to come over once they have finished fixing the little leak in the gulf?
6. Stick a pushrod engine in there.
Any suggestions short of removing one lampredi designed jewel from said vehicle will be l.ovingly assimilated and enactioned
Thanks
Nick

blindfolded! :)

The cover should come off.
Maybe your engine is sagging and you need to prop it up some with a floor jack?

I will try

Hi
I will try that it seems the cover needs to move towards the bodywork in order to clear the timing wheels...
I will try again
Thanks at least I know its possible
Nick

Hi Nick,

IIRC, the top of the cover does not need to move outwards, it comes straight up.

What year car? Different cam covers...

The early 1300s have a one-piece belt cover that feels as if it won't come out - you have to wiggle it and force it a bit past the tight spots. Also, one of the bolts that holds it in place is tucked down and forwards and easy to miss.

Belt change is a bit of a rite of passage for Fiat owners.... The first one you've ever done is a huge project, and then it's a routine job that can be done easily in a half-hour or so.

You next two hurdles will be getting the new belt in (first time I tried, I was ready to weep with frustration and burn the damned car, then I found the right magic twist and it just works); and then getting the timing right after the change (easy if you know the weird fiat thing where you want #4 cylinder to fire when the cam and crank timing marks are aligned).

Come back here if you hit more snags... We've all been there, like I said, it's a rite of passage, and it's only the first one that's hard.

Half hour or so? I don't see that happening on AC cars - I think it took that long just to futz with the split crank pulley :rolleyes:

You've got it, Nick........

....I will try that it seems the cover needs to move towards the bodywork in order to clear the timing wheels...

....sounds if your X is a 1300 with one-piece cover!! I went thru exactly the same 'stressout' when I changed the cambelt on my 1300 X the first time around!
The belt cover fouls on the inner bodywork as you try to wrestle it clear of the belt pulleys.
I actually 'modified' the cover on my car (slightly shaved the lip of the cover that fouls on the body with a grinder) so that it now just about falls into place when I drop it down that gap!
I did another 'mod' in the same area at the same time - I used a longer bolt for that tricky-to-get-at bottom bolt on the cam cover. I loctited a nut on at the exact distance needed to secure the cover, leaving the head of the bolt easily accessible from the TOP - no need to have to get down and dirty when removing the cover next time! ;)
Stick with it, mate - it will be SO easy next time!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back