Is it possible to misassemble a 5-speed so that ...

EricH

Eric Hamilton
... it shifts into reverse just fine, but there's no way of finding 5th?

Of course there's only one reason I would be asking...:whistle:

Yes.

There was a post earlier this week asking to "name this transmission part" had this exact issue. You could have installed a shift rail spacer that does eactly that. And there are any number of other possibilities.

-The 5th gear slider installed upside down is a common one.

Pull the end cap and take a look at 5th and see what you see. This can be done in the car. If you see nothing obvious, with the end cap off, remove the 5th gear shift fork and slider. Then see if you can move the shifter into what would be the 5th gear position. If it goes, you know the problem is with the slider/synchro/fork assembly. If it doesn't, then the problem is in the linkage.

If the problem is in the slider/synchro/fork assembly, you can probably fix it in the car.

The presence of that spacer was the strangest thing. I think I figured out why it was there. When I took off the fifth gear housing of that core, I found that the syncro sleeve was missing and the selector fork. It looks like someone went through the trouble to convert it to a four speed.

Update and easy answer

My daughter is disappointed... she was rooting for me having done something stupid that would require pulling the transmission, so that she could mock me and so that we could try to beat our previous-best time for a transmission install... But no... Way easier than that...

The shifter was hanging up on a bracket in the tunnel that supports the speedo cable tube. A few moments with a hammer and a punch to slightly relocate the bracket and all is well.

This was all part of installing a 1500/5-speed in a '74. This has been done plenty of times before, so it's odd that no one else has reported this problem. Maybe something unusual about the '79 shifter that I used?

(And I feel vindicated. I had been SURE that I had tried all five gears as well as reverse before we installed the transmission)

Last edited:
Yes, the '79 has a different linkage

Instead of a lollipop, it uses a a sort of solid metal gooseneck affair between rod and transmission, and the shift rod is a bit longer.

But it's pretty much all the same at the shifter end, so it's still a bit strange that no one else has reported a similar problem. I went back and took a look at the donor car from which the '79 shift linkage came. It's also a '74 and the bracket in the tunnel is scratched where the shifter has been rubbing - so maybe a '79 linkage in a '74 is always a close fit and I got unlucky with the tolerances?

Mine did not interfere, but......

That bracket would flip the retainer clip off the shifter to shift rod pin. Gave me fits until I figured out what was happening.

Ciao,

"Retainer clip"? Hah - all is made clear!

For no particular reason I used a nut and bolt instead of the clipped pin on the '74 4-speed (well, actually, that four-speed shifter was going somewhere else). That's likely the difference between popping the clip off and a hard stop.

Back