It depends on how you interpret the emissions law testing!

bavaria72

True Classic
Got my Bertone inspected yesterday and I found out that not all inspection stations interpret the emissions law the same. The official Texas emissions/registration web site says “Subject Vehicles: All 2-24 year old gasoline vehicles are subject to emissions testing.” (12 country area around Dallas) So they way I read the law was since my Bertone was an ‘85 that would make it 24 years old and still required to do emissions testing. So Monday morning I took it to a local shop in Rockwall to have it inspected. Got to the shop and their emissions testing machine was broken. The owner said since it was not 25 years old it had to be emissions tested so off to the next shop I went to have it tested. Well at the next shop their emissions equipment was also broken and they said the same thing as the 1st shop. At this point I was wondering if I was just not going to be able to get it tested that day. I decided to try one more shop before giving up. I drove up to the inspection bay of the 3rd shop and they guy there asked how old the car. Told him it was an ’85, he nodded his head and said no problem. He said since it was older than 24 years old it did not have to do the full emissions testing but rather just the safety inspection. I told him I thought the cut off was 25 years and he said the way the law was written anything over 24 years old was exempt. With some skepticism I said OK and off he went to perform the safety inspection. Finally it came time for him to input the info into the computer linked to the Texas Motor Vehicle inspection main frame and lo and behold it accepted the info with no problem! You learn something everyday. Now it is time to get the headers built for it and drop and catalytic converter!

Or move to the Great State of

Missouri!!!

We recently tossed all emissions testing for cars produced prior to 1996. And even the 1996+ cars are only tested in major metropolitan areas.

Congrats on passing your inspections. Now you can enjoy just a bit more freedom. :)

Missouri!!!

We recently tossed all emissions testing for cars produced prior to 1996. And even the 1996+ cars are only tested in major metropolitan areas.

Congrats on passing your inspections. Now you can enjoy just a bit more freedom. :)

I'm in Texas, but in San Antonio.

We have 0 emissions testing. :headbang:

There maybe a little more to it...

While a 25 year old car may not have to pass an emissions test. It seems that it must retain all of its original emissions equipment, in working order, in order to pass the safety inspection. http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub...=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=30&pt=1&ch=114&rl=20 from a link on the txdot faq on items of inspection. It does not appear to say that you have to have an OE cat though. Maybe replacing it with a high flow performance cat would suffice. I had a car not pass because it was missing a heat exchange tube that routed air around the exhaust manifold into the engine when cold so the engine would warm up quicker.

Last edited:
Good to know Art,mine is an 87`......

so one yr less for mine then.Can`t wait to drop the turbo into it:headbang:

Back