I've been doing some serious digging.

First and biggest question is money haw much like to invest in engine.
You can easy make 1,5 or 1,6 with 1.3 block ...
but if not change ccm must start from top or from bottom.
(I can gave some price in EU) cams is new 250-270eand for street I instaled 280-300 deg 10mm lift 2,5-3mm in TDC , OE valve springs but with lightened valves and retainers (OE) installed height is 37-37.5mm
OE valves 39,5 -tipo inlet cc25e set of 4piece
OE valves 33.3 -25e
Mettelli valve guide-15e
change new seats is must cc60-70e wit 3 angle cutting
If you decision to use OE 36/31 lightened you can opened valve seat 33mm and 28,5mm ....
Find later type head ....
FIAT 12mm bolt /studs is like in racing cars quality and you can used many time if is not rost ... 10mm is changed second time
Now on ebay 70%+ is chine rods with ARP or copy ARP bolts
is not bead solution but you can buy 4 piece only and price is 40$ each with 8740 bolts+ delivery , but I prefer scat /arp2000 or L19 price is OK. If you invest money buy good /new parts ....
you can look some photos on site http://simefiatpower.tripod.com/
just for info ....

Last edited:
Interesting...

Do you have any links to where one would be able to find these Fiat 1600 16v engines that bolt right into an X?

I would love to find out more about future options...

'PeteX1/9

Well..I just bit the bullet and bought those 120mm connecting rods on ebay. They already come with ARP hardware and the guy cut me a bit of a deal. These are exactly what I need for more peace of mind at high RMP ranges.
I'll post pics when I get them
Remo

Do you have any links to where one would be able to find these Fiat 1600 16v engines that bolt right into an X?

I would love to find out more about future options...

'PeteX1/9
I think have some on 124turbo forum some photos ,text ....or ask stive to help find post bravo engine in x1/9

Last edited:
I'm made the decision to build my 1300...I'm doing it because I want to keep the car semi-original and I kinda like the fact that I'm doing something that not everyone does. I'm excited to build this thing and rip down the street/track with it. As soon as the weather gets better here I'm going hard on finishing the project for this summer.
I brought all my engine components to the engine shop for renewal yesterday.

I wanted to be sure about these..and this is what he wrote me back:

"The center length of these Fiat unto bielle is 120mm, not 120.02mm."

What is the length on our stock con rods? 120mm or 120.02mm?

Seems like it could be either....

0.02 mm is, let's see, about 0.0008 inches, or just under a thousandth of an inch. I would imagine that is well within production tolerances. :)

Point is, most con rods are going to have that much variance from one to the other, whether they are nominally 120 or 120.02 mm. Rebuilding a rod generally shortens it by much more than that. :whistle:

Was the author Italian? I think they use decimal points and commas opposite of the way we do. You might want to clarify with them that 120.02 means the same thing to you as it does to them.

Pete

Steve... You indeed make a good point...

I too (now) remember that 11,000 RPM comment... But who knows, its certainly possible... but a rather "bravisimo" comment to make using modified STOCK rods...

Maybe he meant 11,000 rpm for 3 seconds... HA!

So Pete... ya mean...

... ya still got money left over???

HA!

And one other thing my friend... give up on the word STOCK, will ya... Yur so far over the line you can NEVER go back.

Mr. Brown can and thinks he might, but he never will either!

Keep up the good work and keep those photos coming!

Heh! I'd destroy the car if

I went back to STOCK. Ha!
Would that mean putting back all those pesky light bulbs, headlights, etc and removing all that "insertable" stuff? :shock:

Never! :jedi:

Last edited:
still looking....

I went onto the 124turbo forum and wasn't successful in finding any info. If you happen to recall or come across any links to the 16v twin cam 1600 engine that can bolt onto an X1/9 then could you pass on the info.

Thanks,
'PeteX1/9

1600 16v engine is found in bravo / brava / marea etc etc ... it is a development of the sohc block, but there are a lot of differences... so NO the head won't bolt onto the stock block.

Russ Mcbride from the Mirafiori forum found one and put it into his X19 in the US... I believe some of the Fiats sold in South American countries use this engine too... so getting one wouldn't be that difficult in the US.

I believe the engine was a development project between Fiat and GM when they were in "partnership" a few years ago, and had the nickname "torque".. which it has plenty of, but it makes just 105hp even with all the electronics and lots of valves..

To develop the engine for serious power would take a lot of work, as aftermarket parts are no where near as easily available as for the sohc.

Crankshaft and rods are the same as sohc 1600's.

http://www.turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2836

is a link to one conversion here in Western Australia.

SteveC

Back