Just curious, what type oil do you use in your rear engine Fiat?

Fiat4Fun

True Classic
So, not to open a huge "best oil" thread, but was wondering what you guys have been using? I just changed the oil in my 850 spyder, and need to order another case. I been using the Brad Penn 1 oil for my old cars, for the lead additive for the valves. It looks like they have sold to a bigger company but still offer the "green oil". Thought I would ask what you guys use, since maybe I behind the "oil" curve........

Valvoline VR1. Fiats of our vintage did not need lead additives. But high zinc content is important.

Correct, sorry, I meant zinc.
What weight VR1? Are you using the racing dino oil or the fully synthetic?

i use cheap semi-sint 10\40 in my 128 coupe, change once a year, i drive about 5k km in 1 year (only use the car in winter) but i'm not an oil fanatic and do not push the higher rpm all the times

I
7FD9D522-960A-4871-B63D-9004E2268AC0.jpeg

Take a look at Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car oil which is high in zinc at 2100 ppm. Available in 20-50, 10-40 and 10-30. A good choice for flat tappet engines and IIRC, has the highest zinc content compared to other brands.

01-HotRod20W50_800x950.jpg

Last edited:
Just a note for those people who are not Americans, the same oil in your country may have different specifications. Especially with the amount of zinc.

Have changed over to the Valvoline VR-1 20/50. It contains the high zinc unlike current oil products and has the additives and performance of modern oils. It isn’t a true racing oil as it has the standard additives of regular road car oil.

I had used Castrol for decades.

I'm using synthetic oil from big names (Castol, Valvoline, Penzoil, Quaker State) when they are in discount. I used to buy Agip for many years when one of the Italian car parts vendor from Montreal was promoting it.

We use 10/40 or 20/50 with Acea c3 specifications, depending on the degree of engine wear.
I think Rather than the gradation, the specification for which the oils are designed is fundamental.

Last edited:
Back