Kawasaki carbs on the X?

remofromcanada

Daily Driver
I was checking out youtube, and I stumbled upon an x1/9 that had 4 carbs from a 98-99 ZX-6R.
Initially, I wanted to put dual DCNF carbs on my 74 with the appropriate manifold, but I looked into the prices of these Kawi carbs and I can pick up a set for under 200 bucks.
I'm going to rebuild my entire 1300 motor, but I want to put some more pep into it. With a cam and appropriate head work, would It be wise to look into these carburators if I re-build them, re-jet them and weld up my own manifold? or will the dual DCNF's be a better all around choice?

well, IF you can make a manifold and everything to work, why not? might have to research the carb jetting settings and stuff, would probablly sound nice

I agree, why not?

I happen to have a lot of experience with SU carbs. So have a project box of parts that will someday be dual SUs on the X. Properly massaged, they perform quite well, and should insult Brit and Italian car purists equally.

But, the thing to remember is you can't ignore the math. You'll have to at least do some basic research to figure out the intake runner size and length, jetting, and so on. It's all on the Interweb tubes these days. The motorcycle carbs should at least flow really well.

Ditto what has already been said. Mine work GREAT. Do your homework/research and have fun.
th_100_0136.jpg

I believe I saw this one before, Kelvin

How you doin, friend?
Is it still running, and well?
Good to see you around,
Herzel

Very cool!!

looks good. I've been digging for some more info and i was wondering if you are using megajolt or if you're just using the stock ignition?
Did you re-jet your carbs?
Did you weld up your own manifold?
Prob sounds amazing..
nice work..anything else you can reccomend, carbs, jets, tips..
Thanks
Remo

Here's what you need! Just add MegaSquirt! (Honda CBR 600 F4i TBs)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...c0.m245&_trkparms=72:1205|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I have 2 sets of these and they are sized just about right for an X. They look a lot like DCOEs and are a 'complete' package (TBs, injectors, fuel rail, TPS and regulator). The mounting is very simple and they are not affected by mounting angle. The set I was going to use would have been widened between the 2 bodies by 1-1/2", which would have spaced them equally for the X intake.

This type sells very cheaply since most people look for the individual types (like Suzukis). The throttle plates are 38mm, more than enough for an X (remember there are no chokes or restrictions like carbs, so one 'smaller' size is used in FI).

I could be talked into selling a set if someone is interested.

My video I guess...

I have a bank of ZX6R carbs and megajolt on my X, there are a few vids kicking around on youtube.

I would highly recommend the bike carbs, there are a few folk on here who have done it so info is fairly easy to come by.

If you want any more info on my setup just shout (It is now on a '77 1300 motor and still going great)

PICT0350-1.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

Regards,
Iain

Great video!!

It got me excited!!..haha, kinda sad
Couple of questions for you..
#1 : did you re-jet those carbs before you put them in?
#2: what are the best carbs to go with? smaller carbs from a kawi? or larger carbs from an R1?
#3: Is megajolt worth it, or will a stock bosch ignition work well also? where is the best place to buy megajolt?
#4: I'd like to get started on this bike carb project on my 74, what other useful tips can you give that are specific to this swap.
Again,nice car and nice work!

#1 : did you re-jet those carbs before you put them in?

Yes, the carbs were rejetted to 160s and fiddled a little with the idle screws. Standard jets be fine for starting and basic testing.

#2: what are the best carbs to go with? smaller carbs from a kawi? or larger carbs from an R1?

I have seen both used. R1s are popular over here for 2l engines but this is driving the price up. The way I figured was that the ZX6R is half the capacity of the X but it revs over twice the rpm, this means that it should flow enough!
I bought the carbs for £10 ($15?) so it was really just a fun project for little £££.

#3: Is megajolt worth it, or will a stock bosch ignition work well also? where is the best place to buy megajolt?

Standard ignition will work fine but Megajolt is FANTASTIC. I have my laptop plugged into the megajolt and can create custom 3D ignition maps (using the ZX6R throttle position sensor), hard and soft rev limiters and shift lights. There are no moving parts and it is super reliable. I bought the main megajolt box from a friend and made the rest myself, most bits you can find in scrpayards and on Ebay.

See here for more info:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/index.php?title=MegaJolt_Lite_Jr._Users_Welcome

#4: I'd like to get started on this bike carb project on my 74, what other useful tips can you give that are specific to this swap.
Again,nice car and nice work!

I got someone with a Tig welder to make the manifold which saved a whole load of effort. He took the original manifold, bolted it to the bench then sawed off all but the flanges. This got the spacing right and gave him something to weld the tubes to.

Try to get the corisponding fuel pump which goes with the bike. I am using a ZX6R pump which just primes and regulates itself, easy peasy.

To be honest the hardest bit for me was making the throttle linkage, apart from that it was fairly painless.

I have hundreds of pictures of the setup, some of them are here:
http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/IainB1986/Bertone X 1988/

If you want any more info then just email me

bubbabraithwaite (at) msn.com

Good luck with the project
Regards,
Iain

John,

I think you told me at one point in time that Megasquirt didn't get along well with ITBs. Can't remember the exact reason but would imagine it had to do with getting a clean MAP signal.

Has an effective solution been found or would you just use Alpha N with ITBs?

I'd be most interested in hearing more about the potential of running ITBs and MS.

///Mike

The newer codes handle it better. I was able to get a good vacuum signal with mine, but I didn't like the 'tip in' from idle. I'm sure I could get them to run now. You could go Alpha-N if you wanted to as well (not for turbos though).

Back