Lack of struts

karhawk

True Classic
This whole lack of struts issue has me wondering if anybody has modified different strut assemblies to fit the X, something that would have several choices of inserts avail. I mean come on, rabbit inserts or KYB gr-2's? That's it beyond 2500$ coil overs?

Chris

This whole lack of struts issue has me wondering if anybody has modified different strut assemblies to fit the X, something that would have several choices of inserts avail. I mean come on, rabbit inserts or KYB gr-2's? That's it beyond 2500$ coil overs?

Chris

It bothers me that Koni still supports the Spider and not the X1/9, I think Konis are still available for the 131 and how many of those do you see around.:confuse2: The only other alternative is the strut housings from Chris Obert as they will fit a variety of inserts.

Welp... I'm pretty happy with...

... my modified springs and KYBs... was even happier when I was able to rebuild my struts with $29.00 inserts... which are NLA...

But there is no stopping you Chris from going broke specializing in anything for an X1/9... I'm just hoping your namesake (Obert) is able to recoup what he's spent on getting 1000 or so strut top-mounts made and imported here.

Modifying the rabbit strut housing is certainly possible...

Chris

But does require cutting and welding. And the welding is "structural" in that it holds up that corner of the car, so this kind of thing is not without its dangers.

I have a set of Rabbit struts broken down for this purpose, but I'm not stopping at the strut, my plan is to replace the entire suspension. This will require cut/modified strut housings, cut/modified radius arm, hybrid (cut/modified) tie rod arms, and a fabricated lower control arm. Not a project for the faint-hearted to be sure. When you look at this level of fabrication (or even just the fabrication required to convert a set of VW strut housings), the cost of coil-overs starts looking a bit more palatable.

But to more directly answer your question, there is no low-buck, junkyard, "Car Craft Magazine" bolt on suspension available.

I would have to ask what problem you are addressing. If it's simply lack of replacement parts, KYBs are still available.

Pete

Not a big fan of KYB shocks/struts

We have white ones in a 75 spider, gr-2's in a 2000 spider and some kind of KYB's inserts in a lowered 128. I'll ck with Obert on his strut tubes.

... my modified springs and KYBs... was even happier when I was able to rebuild my struts with $29.00 inserts... which are NLA...

But there is no stopping you Chris from going broke specializing in anything for an X1/9... I'm just hoping your namesake (Obert) is able to recoup what he's spent on getting 1000 or so strut top-mounts made and imported here.

I am pretty frugal when it comes to getting power and handling out of a Fiat and I do almost all the mechanical work and fabrication. I'll let you know when I go broke.

Last edited:
HA.... they useta call me Mr. Frugal here...

... and I know they were just bein' POLITE! HA!

Continued success!

Back