Lancia Stratos anyone?

Epic design. Just beautiful. Brilliant update of the original.
I'd like to see pop-up headlights though. Other than that, five stars.

Too bad if it only becomes an expensive low-volume limited production version though (V8). Your average inline four these days would probably be enough power for a cheaper mass market version (200hp or so).

Fiat should obviously do the same with the X1/9. A good design doesn't get old.

430 V8??!!!

If they put the incredible F430 V8, even in stock trim, you're looking at 480 hp. That would make a Lotus Elise seem like a 70's VW Bug. It must surely just be a test engine. The original Stratos prototype used the Lancia 1.6 liter before being fitted with the Dino V6 making 190 HP. It would seem that this heavy of an engine, even sprung properly, would create a much heavier car than the original, though. Interestingly, the little V6 was punched to a V8 to make the 308 GT4 engine, which started the bloodline that goes right to the present 458. From wiki I read that the 65 degree V was a Vittoria Jano design that actually resurfaced with the Ferrari 456 and is continued in their front-engined V12 cars.

The most amazing thing to me is how well that design translates in modern cars, it's incredible and doesn't need any updating in the design and it looks ultra modern and aggressive.

Epic design. ...I'd like to see pop-up headlights though. Other than that, five stars. ...Fiat should obviously do the same with the X1/9. A good design doesn't get old.

I'm saying 4 stars as the front end treatment looks like nearly every sports sedan out of Japan. With so much of the new car very nicely
plagiarized from the orginal, why not try to mimic the pop ups somehow? My old design teacher (a Broadway designer) used to say, I don't care if you steal from me, just please make it look good!

The X is so ripe for a revival, I just fear it will be another front engined attempt which misses the point of an X.

John O.

This New Stratos Is A One-Off...

From a German friend who is also into cars (she owns a Porsche 928)..

Bernice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, I had a feeling that some real design pros must be behind this car. But at the same time it was strange that it has a regular German registration, and Lancia itself has no technology in-house for a such car; neither does its sibling Alfa Romeo or even Maserati.

So, today I found out what's behind it... Are you ready for the true story?

It's a one-off, made by Pininfarina for German Enrepreneur/Shareholder Michael Stoschek and his son.

The all carbon body with integrated roll cage is based on a shortened Ferrari 430 Scuderia-Chassis. Engine is a Ferrari V8, which puts out 510 hp in the Scuderia. It weighs about 1.240 Kilos, or roughtly 2,25 Kilogramm per HP.

In theory, Pininfarina could make up to 25 copies of this Stratos, but that has not been decided.

The owner was previously involved in the Fenomenon-Stratos that was shown at the Geneva Auto Show in 2005

Here you can practice your German: ;)

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...e-kehrt-als-einzelstueck-zurueck-2217136.html

Update: you should take a look at http://www.new-stratos.com, if you haven't seen it, yet.

It's a one-off, made by Pininfarina for German Enrepreneur/Shareholder Michael Stoschek and his son.

That's the way I understood it, Bernice. But every third Lancia nut (not saying that's a bad thing to be) or euro car enthusiast site on the internet is posting "rumors" there may be more made. I'd be just as happy to see it remain a tribute of sorts in the same way the recent Stratos concept car is/was: http://www.classicandperformancecar...ept_goes_on_display_at_the_design_museum.html

John O.

What these "one off" car tends to do is stir up publicity and helps media gain readership.

We bicycle past the Stanford Automotive Research facility often and I get to see what they are working on, even got to know some of the staff who works there. This is the home of the record attempt, self-driven Pikes Peak car, a project run by Chris H. We have chatted about this car over time. It is a "glory" project that is a real engineering challenge that you will read about in the media.. kinda of a BIG story.. self driven race car..

Another project they are working on is a self driven car for the real world or urban environment car. It is not very flashy or as automotive media worthy.. but this is a far more technically challenging project than the Pikes Peak car..

Cars like the one off Pikes Peak or "new Stratos" car makes for a good read, but technically significantly cars that will seriously affect production cars in the near future like the self driven urban car does not have as much automotive media appeal since they do not appeal to gear heads as much due to their perceived lack of competition standing..

Bernice

That's the way I understood it, Bernice. But every third Lancia nut (not saying that's a bad thing to be) or euro car enthusiast site on the internet is posting "rumors" there may be more made. I'd be just as happy to see it remain a tribute of sorts in the same way the recent Stratos concept car is/was: http://www.classicandperformancecar...ept_goes_on_display_at_the_design_museum.html

John O.

Wheels

What are the wheels on this car - they look amazing ? Probably a one-off design specifically for this Stratos ?

Will they take a $500.00 deposit...

... like they do for the Fiat 500!

HA!

I'd like to be one fo the first 25 owners!

Back