Lean running, my 1976 2.0 FI engine

True, he felt 15% might not be accurate. I feel 15% is more of a true percentage.
Gear train losses depends on the specific type of gear sets involved and how many of them.

The Lancia gear box does not have a hypoid final drive (about higher 80%) with has higher power loss than a helical gear (typically better than 90%) set. There is no center U-jointed drive shaft in the Lancia and all those power loss bits common in all front engine/rear drive motos.. The single package engine/transaxle has lower power loss due to fewer gear sets and moving bits.

What is important is not the absolute numbers, as the relative numbers are plenty useful. Keep in mind dyno numbers vary by dyno, by environmental conditions, oily bits conditions on that day and more...

Wheel dyno numbers would be a bit higher than the original euro MonteCarlo with a Lampredi TC spec of 120hp @ 6000 RPM, 125 lb-ft @ 3500 RPM torque at the flywheel (first time a production Lampredi TC was made into a 2.0 liter), minus some percentage for gear set losses nets about ~100_ish whp.

Bernice

I agree, I thought 15% would be more accurate for our cars, so that would come out to around 130 BPH @7200 RPM’s

Last edited:
Back