LED Headlights

You can also get LEDs that alternate both white and amber. They act as both the DRL and turn signal by alternating the color when the blinkers go on. Steady white until the signals are activated, then flash amber.

You can also get LEDs that alternate both white and amber. They act as both the DRL and turn signal by alternating the color when the blinkers go on. Steady white until the signals are activated, then flash amber.
I have that set on my WRX, very cool effect and easy to set up to trigger off the turn signal. It just a vampire adapter attached to a wire going to one of the turn signal bulbs.

I'm always on the lookout for new headlights and can never decide whether to go modern all in one or classic housings with LED or Halogen bulbs. I came across these today which look pretty interesting - no videos to be found to see their performance but they have a great retro look.

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 57
I bought a set of cheap led projectors on Amazon in 2017 (no longer available) but have been happy
I do like that these look factory.

I'm always on the lookout for new headlights and can never decide whether to go modern all in one or classic housings with LED or Halogen bulbs. I came across these today which look pretty interesting - no videos to be found to see their performance but they have a great retro look.

Certainly a whole lot better priced than the Holley ones. However, as nice as the lens on these looks from a angle, the second pic in the listing from straight on appears to look more like the majority of LED headlights - too modern. Honestly it's hard to tell from the pics though. I guess you could buy them and see first hand how they look. Especially with Amazon it is easy to return things if you don't like them.

That’s what I have on my X. It has the halo which switches from white to amber with the turning signal…

This December I upgraded the lights on my vintage vehicles with LEDs, including the X 1/9. While I did not upgrade the headlights on the X 1/9, I did go with LED headlights on my Bronco, which uses the same 7 inch headlight, so the ones I installed are relevant to the X 1/9. After doing some thorough research, I found that few of the lighting experts thought much of most of the offerings out there. But the only LED headlights that consistently got a nod of approval from the experts for both beam pattern and quality were the JW Speaker LEDs. These are expensive but work extremely well, use the standard 3 prong connector and are plug and play. Consisting of a low and high bean projectors mounted in a 7 inch round housing they may look odd up close, but overall are essentially unnoticeable unless you stare at them. In that respect they work well in the fixed location on a Bronco where the headlights are a prominent part of the front end appearance. On an X 1/9 they would of course be invisible. The current draw is a fraction of incandescent headlights. They cycle through low, high, and both at oncefor extra brightness. They are so bright that I now run the low beam in the day time because you can actually notice them Even when I have forgotten and left them on for hours there are no adverse effects on the battery. Big thumbs up on this upgrade. When I get a chance I plan on installing a set on the X 1/9 and kiss the battery drain goodbye. These are good, if expensive. But they solve all sorts of problems.
IMG_4498.JPG

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...LED-Headlights-Chrome/early-bronco-headlights

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8700-evo-2-pro/

forgive the PPF X on my lights but these are classic look lights with a projector lens that take regular bulbs I put in LEDs. They really do just look like an update to a classic light.

index.php

1685720366646.png

This particular style, with a division across the middle for the high and low beams, was one of the earlier designs that Hella did with LED replacement lights. I don't know if this specific example is identical to the Hella design, but the Hella ones used two separate LED elements - one for each beam. Having both high and low beams in one light housing has been a challenge for LED replacements lights. Another approach is to have the "bulb" actually move in and out to change the focal point within the reflector/housing/lens. And there are other approaches. Off hand I don't recall how the "classic" lens ones sold through Holley (discussed earlier) copes with this.

they work just like early oem projectors where there is a lens and a standard bulb H4, H7 etc. I just put in a led bulb in the same version. I think the bulb is there same as I run in my Audi's projectors

https://www.amazon.ca/Spec-D-Tuning-LHP-7RND-Projector-Headlight/dp/B0751WBDBX

Likely discontinued, surprisingly cheap.

I bought a set of the LEDs and headlights MWB is offering. I have H4s in EU motorcycle housings today.

I will post up a photo comparison of the two in the near future. Since we are at
The longest day of the year and my bedtime is near sundown :) it may be a few weeks until I am up late enough to post them up.

The MWB housings have a reflector in front of the bulb so the glare problem shouldn’t be an issue. I can also switch in an H4 into the same MWB housing as a comparison. The H4 bulbs have a built in reflector

We shall see. The investment wasn’t too dear so if they aren’t great it’s a small thing.
So....did you ever install those MWB LED's ;) and...are they glass, or plastic? The ones currently listed at MWB say glass

Last edited:
Back