LED Tail Light Tutorial

Mike_Gold

True Classic
I was asked to post how I made my LED tail lights:

First I took the old tail light and cardboard and made a pattern -
TL-2.jpg

Pattern.jpg

I would make the pattern a little wider and longer if I were to do this again. Once the pattern is cut to your satisfaction, trace it to plexiglass. I got mine from a sign shop for free. I wanted the black, but for free, I figured I could paint it.
Plexiglass.jpg

It cuts pretty well on a scroll saw IF you use masking tape along the cut. Otherwise I had problems with it shattering.
saw.jpg

I made the holes such as the lights are a tight press fit into the holes.
TL3.jpg

The lights came from e-bay for about $40. You can search "(4) 4" Led Truck Trailer Stop Turn Tail Light 64Led Red" or by seller "a.wholesaler" to see the ones I bought.
TL-4.jpg

A little silicon to hold them solid and I'm ready to make the mounting toggles. A little bar stock with a hole drilled will do nicely:
Bracket1.jpg

A nut JB Welded to the backside completes the bracket:
Bracket2.jpg

Ready to install:

ReadyToMount.jpg

The toggle allows these to be installed in the car without alterations to the body. This lets you revert to the stock lights if you wish.

Finally, you need the Red FL-3 flasher from superbrightleds.com. Get the one that has a "pilot" output for the turn signals.
flasher.jpg

That's all there is to it!

ledtail-lit.jpg

Day time pic

Car still needs a lot of work, so you can see why I left the day picture out. The mount screws will be black in the finished product. Yes, that IS a rubber chicken on the hood.
LEDTail1.jpg

Fantastic

Thanks Mike,

That's inspiring. I absolutely love that night shot - looks like a totally modern solution and brings the back end right up to date.

Thanks again,
Chris

Back