Lets talk catalytic converters

Coupefan

True Classic
I suppose California owners have noticed cat vendors will no longer ship to California. While my car's cat is OK and I'm sure most of yours are for the forseeable future, I ponder what happens when we actually need to get a hold of a replacement. Any thoughts?

Cesare

why not just buy one, have it shipped to a family member in another state, then they can mail it to you direct?

Shame on you Mike for suggesting such a thing...

I mean... where the hell is your love for the planet and all...

Geez Loueez!

First its Lacquer, then Freon, then Global Warming... now its illegal Cats that are only legal in the other 49 states!

BTW... most of us here are kinda "family" ya know...

I mean... where the hell is your love for the planet and all...

Geez Loueez!

First its Lacquer, then Freon, then Global Warming... now its illegal Cats that are only legal in the other 49 states!

BTW... most of us here are kinda "family" ya know...

I know its family, thats why Im trying to think of ways he could get a new cat. I figure a non Cali cat is better on the ozone then running a burned out cat or no cat at all :innocent:

I'm in Washington

if anyone needs me to ship them a cat... I got my last one, a high flow magnaflow 2.5" in and out for like $60!

buncha guys here from Oregon as well....

I wouldn't worry

If your X is an OBD2 i would worry about it but all X's are not so don't. All OBD1 cats will fill the need to pass smog but you must remember that quality will be an issue. It is not uncommon that if you had a cheap $160 cat installed that it may fail the next Bi-annual smog test. OBD1 cats are sold on almost every street corner so there will not be any short supply in the near future.

This thread is interesting and has me curious...

Why is CA restricting the sale of catalytics?... Are they really?... What would be the logic behind it?...

If someone could point me to some background info I'd be interested in reading it.

J.

RE:Lets talk about CATS (long)

Sounds to me like this is the States way of making another buck somewhere. If you've got a original CAT, you're set and will have no issues. Our X's usually pass with flying colors anyways, at least all mine have.
If you change out the CAT though, it has to be approved by the CARB (California Air Resources Board).

As described below these approved CATS have a number (usually stamped) on the cat which I believe is entered into the CA smog machine during the smog check, so buying any cat out of state wont work.

By the way these CATS can be approved and be total crap as well, such as the last two that I've installed on Porsche 944 turbos. I can't even begin to express the pain and grief it takes to install these:censored:, lots of heating up with a torch, bending,etc.:censored: :wall:just to make it fit! The alternative in this case is factory with a price tag to the tune of about $2,300.00:wacko:

Chris is also right about ZDDP in the oil being harmful to the CAT, but it's also good for the engine. With additive packages in oils being reduced, the CAT will last longer, but the motor less. Personally I think if the motor stays healthy with good quality oils it would last longer and have cleaner emissions.
Rolf.

As taken from the California Air resources Board's (CARB) website

Catalytic Converters
A legal aftermarket catalyst is one that is listed in an ARB approved manufacturers catalogue for the year, make, model, and engine size of vehicle on which it is being installed. Manufacturers of aftermarket catalytic converters must obtain an Executive Order for their products from the Air Resources Board in order to be listed in an approved catalogue.

New Label Requirements
The label on the catalytic converter shell must be ½ inch high and large enough to be read from a distance of 5 feet from either side of the vehicle. The label must show the EO, specific part number (universal or direct-fit) for the vehicle, and date of production (month and year). In assigning specific part numbers, manufacturers have taken into consideration each vehicles exhaust configuration, including the location of the oxygen sensors, pipe size, etc. Therefore, no modifications should be required to fit a catalytic converter on a vehicle other than weld it in, where necessary.

Back