LET'S TEAR DOWN!

RMarine

Bad Magic
Started the tear down of the 1500 today. so far so good, nothing looking to bad on the inside, though the outside is going to need some TLC. one side of the engine is rusted, but the other side is pretty clean (guy had it sitting outside for awhile). All in all, it's going very well. All that's left is to pull the crank and pistons, and she'll be a bare block.

of course, I have pics! I know how we all love pics around here :p

2010-04-01155036.jpg

2010-04-01155146.jpg

2010-04-01163817.jpg

And just because I joked and told him I would, here's fellow Xweber, Roobus and Ray, owner of Performance Apex with Roobus's 78'. LOL It's always good to meet a fellow Xhead!

2010-04-01114448.jpg

tomorrow I'll have the rest tore down, I'll have more pics to go with it.

Completely disassembled the engine this morning and took the block over to Performance apex to have a look. Looks like I'm going to have to bore out the cylinders. The engine sat for awhile and took water inside.

So for now, everything's on hold until I can get it bored and find the right size pistons.

I figure it's easier to just update this,than start a new thread.

So, the build is back on! Sadly, due to my 1300 dieing. Dropped a cylinder this weekend on the way home from work.

So, as of this morning, I have all the rebuild parts on order, with a set of 87.0mm pistons from Midwest Bayless and the rest from Vicks.

As soon as the pistons arrive, I'm taking the block over to Performance Apex and getting it bored.

Also towing the x over to their shop on monday so we can start the teardown. I'll be taking pics and posting them as we work.

Any good advice on the rebuild from you guys?

that's a decent picture of Ray, not too often you see him smiling! :wink2:

nice to see another local guy around.

I think we are getting there! It would be cool to get together with a bunch of us.

I know the fiat club is meeting tonight, but, I'll be at work sadly.

As for the engine, I'm gonna start painting and such later. Pistons should be in on friday, so engine will be heading over to Rays place very soon! Can't wait to get this done. 1500, 87mm pistons and a few more tweeks :p

Just to make you drool, here's what it could look like:

102158.jpg

Mine after the recent rebuild. Don't worry, I painted the starter after I took this. :grin:

Once I get it back!

We will have to have a get together. I can already see a stream of X's running the curves on Hwy 7 on a nice early summer morning.:grin:

Gerald

LOL you did have me drooling there for a minute, Jeff! Looks fantastic! I really like the air cleaner on it, what kind is it? also, what kind of plug wires are you running on it?

Bob, which carbs are you running on your setup?

I've decided to go red with the block and some of the accessories, an aluminum/silver color with the trans and oil pan. going to get started on the painting either tomorrow or Friday.

heck ya, Roob! I'm sure Ray has your almost complete. I'll be visiting his place on Friday, so I'll check on it :p

That air cleaner looks like...

I really like the air cleaner on it, what kind is it?

That air cleaner looks like the oval one that Vick sells. Couldn't find it on their web store last time I wanted one, but searching for 29-7612 (their catalog number) brought it up.

Just a couple quick pics. all the paint work is done, engine is at the machine shop getting bored, Monday starts the engine pull for the 1300 and the put together and installation of the 1500. We'll be taking pics as we go along with the build.

2010-04-09155844.jpg

2010-04-12095918.jpg

2010-04-12095850.jpg

mmmmm 87mm pistons. oh yea!
2010-04-10140504.jpg

Engine build starts in the morning, heading over to the shop early to get things started. Pictures will be posted as it goes!

Get Together

Well, Hello there; I am sure that you all live west of the San Andreas Fault and we ALL know that it's going to break off and fall intha ocean and yur all going to die!!! DIE!!!!!! Why don't you all move here to Wisconsin so we could have a REAL GET TOGETHER!!! Me and my 1979 X19 (named FiFi) could use the good advice you have? Me and FiFi are listenning!!! Count Jack in Wisconsin

Mainly because there are to many cows in Wisconsin and people wear cheese on their head. LOL

Back to the X, roommate and I pulled the engine in our garage the other night. We had a lot of fun, but it was worth it. Now we are in a time crunch to finish up tonight so, just wanted to post a couple quick pics. Enjoy!

2010-04-19225053.jpg

2010-04-20011810.jpg

2010-04-20012102.jpg

2010-04-21111628.jpg

2010-04-21203145.jpg

230 in the morning and I'm finally home from the shop. Car is done and parked outside. running perfect, to tired to post the pics, will do so later. but, wanted to share the good news.

Back