lettle lever next to handbrake (paking brake)

TampaBayX-19

TampaBayX-19
Hi guys... from over the pond in little old England!

I have a 1977 1300cc seri special X19. I'm the 2nd owner. my car was originally bough new by its first owner in Souht Africa.

My question is... what is the little lever that sits just left (or maybe right on US cars) of the parking brake lever... and slightly foward of the choke lever?

Some guys over here recon it could be an early and rather crude form of cruise control? or engine speed regulator.

apparently, this is only found on early US sec 1300cc cars?

any help???

Paul

Maybe

Some Fiats have a hand throttle. It's not a cruise control, it's just to hold the throttle open to warm up the engine......but it works as a cruise control too!

Never seen one on an X1/9 though, but my 850 had one.

I have that lever...

My question is... what is the little lever that sits just left (or maybe right on US cars) of the parking brake lever... and slightly foward of the choke lever?

... on an early euro 1300. It's a hand throttle, used for setting a faster idle speed during warmup.

I've never seen it on a US-spec 1300.

Yep, that's what it is........!!

Some Fiats have a hand throttle... it's just to hold the throttle open to warm up the engine......Never seen one on an X1/9 though, but my 850 had one.

.....from what I can gather, most EARLIER Euro-spec 1300 X's, and that includes your '77 Serie Speciale, included that hand throttle lever as OE.
My '78 1300 Serie Speciale does not have that lever, BUT you can see a mark on the the tunnel where it was installed on earlier models.
Quite a handy little device, I would think!

cheers, Ian - NZ

I have the same lever

But it's for my choke. 1974's had them but went to water cooled/heated chokes on later models....at least in the States I'm told. Mine was snapped off and the replacement part is NLA. I got crafty and did a rather smashing job of repairing it, I'd say.

Mudge....the US branch of the family
The rest stayed in England, 1600's ;)

If you look at an early cam cover...

If you look at an early cam cover, there's a flange with a hole in it for the throttle cable... Except that the flange has TWO holes for TWO cables. The second hole is for the cable for this hand throttle.

(URL)http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v65/mikemudge/74 Fiat X 19/?action=view&current=004-1.jpg(/URL)

That will get you to my photobucket album and the location and such of the lever. One of these days I'll learn how to import pix to this site.
Mudge

Instead of the URL link, use the IMG link beneath
004-1.jpg

Back