Looking for a bike rack solution for the X

abec

Wil
Anyone have any experience with a bike rack of some sorts with the X?

I would like to be able to transport my bike with my X.

Yeah, I have.....

I had previously fabricated a bike carrier for the luggage rack on our Brava Station Wagon. It is made of 2X2 aluminum angle.

After selling the Brava wagon and a couple of cars later, I ended up with a spare X1/9 top. I bolted the 2X2 rail directly to the top. Fork mount at the front is handled by a piece of threaded rod with nuts and washers. To hold the rear tire, I cut a slot to fit a toe strap (remember those?). Front bike wheel rides with me inside.

The cool part is that my Xs are always set up pretty low, so even though I ride really tall bikes, they will fit under the opened garage door.

So, swap tops and I am ready to carry the bikes. :thumbsup:

Ciao,

I had a friend that had

a 2" receiver hitch on the back of his Miata and a rack for it. Now that I think of it the way he had his might not work on an X. I think he had the bikes over the back of the car kinda.

my solution

I attached a hitch to my rear bumper and then bought a bike rack designed to plug into the hole. Works great and I've used it for several years now with no issues

while in college, I used to carry bikes on my x (85 x-1/9 in 1988-90).

Went to good bike shop, picked up Yakima towers, and a couple dozen clips and went to parking lot and tried them till I found a clip that worked.

Mounted towers with clips to rear trunk with bike trays going forward over engine lid. Worked fine, and was low profile.

Yup! (pic)

YXwithBikeCrop.jpg

An element? I would never subject my bike to such torture, let alone myself. :nana:

I got 2 weeks to figure something out as I want to drive up to San Jose on the 2nd, and would like to take my bike with me. I will look for a universal trunk/roof rack, if I don't find one that works Ill be drilling into my second top next week.

another way

Some years ago I solved the problem of transporting my bike in the X by removing the X's top and the bike's wheels and and sitting the bike frame beside me in the passenger seat with the bike's fork up above the roofline. It seems that I had to pad the bike's chainring to keep it from gouging into the dash but other than that it worked pretty well. At least that's what I thought until it started raining!!

cheers - dj

Ended up doing a little custom job for my bike rack.
I had a fork mount from my bike box, and then I made a rear trunk tire mount. Ill be painting the trunk & bracket black so it should blend in fairly well. Everything is removable though I need to find a rubber plug to fill the holes to make them less obvious.
IMG_7749.JPG

An element? I would never subject my bike to such torture, let alone myself. :nana:

I got 2 weeks to figure something out as I want to drive up to San Jose on the 2nd, and would like to take my bike with me. I will look for a universal trunk/roof rack, if I don't find one that works Ill be drilling into my second top next week.

So should I ask "Do you know the way to San Jose?" :)

Be sure to cruise up to Alice's Restaurant on Woodside road and Skyline. http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/index-6.html If you haven't been, its an awesome drive, great scenery. Also some great bike riding too ;)

-Tim

Yeah, and that front wheel...

tucks in very nicely between the RH seat and the door. That is where I always carried mine.

Ciao,

I had previously fabricated a bike carrier for the luggage rack on our Brava Station Wagon. It is made of 2X2 aluminum angle.

After selling the Brava wagon and a couple of cars later, I ended up with a spare X1/9 top. I bolted the 2X2 rail directly to the top. Fork mount at the front is handled by a piece of threaded rod with nuts and washers. To hold the rear tire, I cut a slot to fit a toe strap (remember those?). Front bike wheel rides with me inside.

The cool part is that my Xs are always set up pretty low, so even though I ride really tall bikes, they will fit under the opened garage door.

So, swap tops and I am ready to carry the bikes. :thumbsup:

Ciao,

Mark,

You have a picture handy of your bike rack setup? I can't visualize it for some reason but am really curious.

-Tim

So should I ask "Do you know the way to San Jose?" :)

Be sure to cruise up to Alice's Restaurant on Woodside road and Skyline. http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/index-6.html If you haven't been, its an awesome drive, great scenery. Also some great bike riding too ;)

-Tim

I have yet to take the X up in that area, but I have driven all my other cars up there countless times. I have stopped at the Alice parking lot many times but I have yet to eat there. I might try eating there this time though, thanks for reminding me!

Back