Looking to buy $4500 Scorpion

Eduard

http://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/2861238092.html

I've never owned one before, am new to this forum, etc. Allow me to introduce myself.

Hello. I'm Eduard. Hopefully I'll find a scorpion that fits my needs. If so, I'll remain on this forum.

I've read this buyer's guide:
http://www.lanciamontecarlo.net/Montecarlo/Buying.html

But I still don't really know how much these cars are worth. Sure, $4500 isn't much money for a car, but where does it fall on the scorpion's pricing spectrum? (Pending that there aren't immediate rust / mechanical issues).

If you could have changed something about the process of buying your car, what would it be? (would you have checked for some issues?)

PS- I'm looking at scorpions because it seems like they would be fun to drive. I know power is lacking, but power != fun in all cases. Would you consider the scorpion exceptionally fun to drive?

Welcome...

Welcome Eduard!

Some of us here on Xweb have Scorpions as well as X's. We'll try to help... but you may find more help over at:
http://www.lancisti.net/forum/content.php

The cl ad is sketchy, and the lack of punctuation and spelling gives me pause, not a very careful seller.
Check everything out on the car; rust, leaks, rust, windshield (it's glue-in) electrics, and oh yeah rust. If you have specific q's about this specific car we will try to help.

Unless it presented VERY well, I would assume that I would need to overhaul fuel, hydraulic, and cooling systems, and basic engine tune-up stuff at a minimum. It sort of depends on the car but anymore I would be careful.

If that car is rust free....

It's probably well worth the $4500 asking price. Sounds like the current owner doesn't know much about them, and doesn't care much about them either.

This would definitely be worth checking out.

Yes, Scorpions are fun cars. They are similar in X1/9s in handling, if you are familiar with them (I assume you are as you are posting on a X forum). They feel like a bigger version of the X, which is basically what they are. They do come with front and rear anti-roll bars, so at the limit they act a bit differently. But a lot of brake and suspension parts interchange.

Contrast that ad to this rougher, but more modified one I just got from the Scorpion mailing list:

I don't post here much, but need to sell my Scorpion. It's a '77 converted to European Montecarlo look with the euro bumpers. It also has the S2 Montecarlo through the glass side view mirror. It's got the Ansa "bundle of snakes" exhaust with the quad tips which, as we know, is no longer available. The headlights were converted to the four small round headlamps. It supposedly has a larger carburetor, but I couldn't tell the difference by looking at it. It has a Momo steering wheel. The windshield is not cracked. The engine cradle/cross mount is not cracked. It's been lowered with lowering springs and has a nice stance to it. The roof has been replaced with a cloth type similar to Porsche 911s.

The bad: as typical, there is rust, primarily on the rear window sill and fire wall. There is also small rust spots in various areas such as the windshield surround and door bottoms. The floorboards are good though. One of the roof straps is broken. The latch to open the front bonnet is broken.

The car is white with blue interior with the seats redone in cloth.

I am the second and fourth owner of this car. It was the third owner who did all the modifications. It has always been in a garage while I've owned it as well as the original owner. Mileage is approximately 140K miles as the odometer is not working. Owner #3 used it as a daily driver which accounts for the majority of the mileage.

I'm asking $4000. Respond here or e-mail me at dfpulido*hotmail.com for further questions. The car is located in southern California. I'll post a link to the pictures soon.

Thanks,
Ferdie

I have no affiliation to that seller, I just post it for comparisons sake.
Pete

if that is a stock 76, the car will be pretty slow. It definitely takes some of the fun out of driving the car that looks like a Scorpion and has a nice chassis that can take way more power.. The restrictions that were placed on lancia in order to sell those cars in the USA back then were unfortunate. luckily, you can "desmog" and tune the cars to make a more reasonable amount of power if your state isn't strict on smog for 1976 cars.

Sounds like that car has been mostly sitting for a while. I'd want to drive it and test everything electrical and the tranny, check for any odd noises, leaks, etc. it looks decent from the not so great cell phone photos, but could still be a junker on close inspection.

Eduard, you live in Connecticut, right?

Connecticut is a lovely state, and something of a Mecca for old car buffs. There are many well informed car guys there that can examine this car and warn you of any problems the car may have. How much mechanical experience do you have? These are 37 year old italian cars, and that can spell "special attention". If you want to do doughnuts and drive 10/10ths all the time, buy a vette. If your looking for a sporty car with sexy italian flair, but not the Ferrari price, a Scorpion is a pretty good way to go. Just understand that these little jewels need extra care now and then. Rust is the major enemy. I'd happily buy one with a blown motor if the body is straight and rust free! This site and the lancisti community site is a great resourse for old timers and newbies alike! Also try the Fiat Lancia Unlimited website to find groups of Fiat owners near you. Many of them would be happy to go with you to look over this car and make a recommendation. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I don't know, craigslist ad says "air horne", that alone should make it worth the asking price, no? I jest of course. What would possess a seller to mention that anyway? Not one single part ever replaced since '76? Wow, that's NOT good.
Pics (as poor as they are) sure make it look like it's worth investigating though. Asking $4500 could easily mean he'd take 3. Go look.:D
BTW
my 17 year old son loves these things......

Any thing can be re built but........

If you are looking in to getting into Scorpions they are basically no different than any other car but they do hide rust well. If you can get out to see the car have a look under the carpet and look under or behind the seats and the upper firewall. That is usually the place where the rust is going to be, also pay attention to the hood around the grills.They always rust there. As for parts, there is allot of crossover from X1/9's and Spiders so mechanical parts usually are not an issue. As long as the rust isn't taking over the car you should have some summer fun. The pics in the CL add don't look too bad but like the others have said, go have a look at it and take it for a drive.
If you find any thing out of the ordinary you now have some bargaining room.

Good luck, and Welcome

Warren

This is my first post:

Thanks Pete, that's my ad/posting. Thanks for the free publicity.

Eduard, your budget is very workable for most Scorpions, even mine. ;-) But to duplicate my modifications over the cost of a regular factory Scorpion would put you over your budget. Good luck finding an Ansa quad tip exhaust as well as they're becoming unobtainium.

In your search for a Scorpion, make sure the lower cross member is not cracked or that the windshield is not cracked either. The cross member can be welded up, but the windshield will need to be replaced, and that's not cheap.

I wish you weren't across the country so you can look at this car.

Link to Pics:
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t108/dfpulido/Lancia/

re: white scorpion

Hi ferdman,
that white scorpion looks awfully familiar to me... i've seen that scorpion with eddie tuason. is that still available for sale? a 76 with 77 panels? I so regretted selling my scorpion.

boysiejucaban,

Yes, Eddy was owner #3. I sold it to him then bought it back. It is a true '77. It's still available.

Is/was the first Scorpion you post in your message yours? If so, I think I know who you are as well. You live in Highland, I think. I went with Eddy to your house because he was working on your car.

If you miss your car, you can buy mine. If not, do you know of anyone who might want to buy? There's a finder's fee involved.

Back