Looks Like an X, but?

Thats the Dardo. IIRCC they were only built for SA and based on the X1/9. I think Dardo is a "coach builder" similar to Zagato, but with less panache

Interesting...

Is the front bumper molded into the body or separate from it? Because the rear bumper definitely looks to be part of the body.

Hmmm... these engines appear to have...

... a similar size and still a reverse flow configuration... but have their intakes and exhaust ports are opposite to what we generally have. The cam gear still appears to be on the right and the trans to the left.

Can anyone shed any more light on these engines?

Papa Tony:

from the english website above

Built as a cross-equity engine, 1 overhead camshaft driven by toothed belt.
The 1.3 liter comes from the Fiat 147 Spazio Oggi or manufactured in Brazil.
The 1.5 liter engine has been tuned by Silvano Pozzi, a 1.5 liter was not built in Brazil or Argentina.​
The transmission, 4 speed is also in the Fiat 147th The details of the suspension in accordance with the X 1 / 9 chassis.

front bumper-possible?

I love little about the Dardo, except for the front bumper treatment. I'd love to do something similar...a line of rubber around the front, on my X. Think it is possible to get a Dardo front bumper (at least the black part of it) anywhere?

Now the guy that extended the rear trunk...there's not enough heat in hell for you dude...OMG.

How about those taillights?

They look like Fiat Brava taillights and the early pictures look like they used Fiat 131 or Brava guages. Interesting.
Dave

Ive never really liked the idea of lengthening the X1/9, but after watching the video of the 1.5, I gotta say, for my ultimate X1/9 build I would prefer to use the Dardo. The engine bay is much tidy-er then the X and the engine itself looks more correct in its layout, the dash and instrument cluster is far superior in the styling department, as is the bumpers. That car would look the tits if it lost those ugly wheels, was dropped about 2 inches and fitted with a Dallara or widened Eurosport body kit with the appropriate mods for both to lengthen the kits rocker panels and such. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The "Brazil Engine"

Tony, I remember looking at my Ritmo service manual and noticing that the 1050 cc engine appeared reversed with respect to the 1100, 1300 and 1500 engines. I just had another look, and the 1100, 1300 and 1500 have the familiar 138 A xxxx designations, the 1050 is a 127 A.6000. This ties together with the note that the Dardo engines came from the 147, as the Fiat 147 was a variant of the 127 built in South America. Wikipedia makes a reference to the engine:
...the option of the 1,049 cc engine - uniquely for the 127 this was the "Brazil" engine rather than the Fiat SOHC unit from the 128.

Perhaps the Dardo engines are derived from the 127. family?

From the Ritmo service manual (Reparaturanleiting 458, Verlag Bucheli, Switzerland, ISBN 3-7168-1517-x):

End view of the 1100/1300:

Reparaturanleitung_p04.gif

Compare with the 1050:

Reparaturanleitung_p05.gif

Side view of the 1100/1300:

Reparaturanleitung_p06.gif

And the 1050:

Reparaturanleitung_p07.gif

Belt routing for both:

Reparaturanleitung_p16.gif

Last edited:
I doubt it...

In the first video it appears to me that there is a molded piece incorporating the bumper, fog lights, air intake and spoiler all in one that covers up the standard metal front end?

It's a license built X1/9

I ran an article in May '96 in !icsunonove! magazine when a Brasilian member added to the inventory of the X1/9OCUK model pages.

288GTO

The front end "kinda" reminds me of the 288 GTO, with the strip going across the front. I'd love that look on an X1/9, especially with the Ferrari's big rectangular lamps.

Ferrari-288-GTO_2.jpg

Back