loose center caps

jvandyke

True Classic
After painting my wheels (and knocking out the center caps to do it). I went to put them back in and wow are they loose now. One won't even stay in just sitting there. In the Wheel Paint thread it was suggested to use electrical tape or a rubber band(?) on them to make them tight again. I'm soliciting other ideas too. I would hate to lose one. I tried heating them up and shoving a socket into them to spread them open a bit, let them cool.....that didn't really work, they came out the same as started. I'm going to try some tape and some rubber bands but I might just end up glueing them in, "lightly" so they "can" be pushed back out if needed.

Not uncommon...

Probably the most common fix is to use 3 small dabs of silicone (perhaps in a matching color) to help hold the cap in place. Such small amounts can easily be overcome when removal is necessary, and is sufficient to hold them in.

What they really need is an internal ring of spring steel to hold the tabs out, similar to my VW hubcaps.

Another idea is a disc of EPS foam, inserted into the back of the cap inside the tabs, just soft enough to compress but strong enough to hold the tabs out. Haven't tried it but I thought it could work.

I put a rubber band on one, worked well but I only had one a good width, other three got several layers of electrical tape. Both worked well but rubber bands deteriorate pretty quick and electrical tape won't last forever either. I can't believe I didn't lose one before. Obviously not designed for multiple removals I guess.

Electrical tape DOES work best!

I have a similar problem with the centre caps on the Cromo CD58's on my 1300 X.
I have unfortunately lost 2 of the OE stainless steel centre caps, and replaced them with some after-market aluminium ones (both types are SUPER-rare).
The s/steel caps seem to stay more firmly in place, but the alum. caps loosen off quickly.
I find that about 3 tightly wound layers of electrical tape around the inside lips of both types of the caps is sufficient - gives just enough tension to squeeze the caps into place but still allows you to pry the caps off with a wide blade screwdriver.
Use the shiny-surfaced electrical tape, and you will find that it lasts pretty well for a number of removals and refits of the caps.

cheers, Ian - NZ

Great, good to know. I still have all four after today's commute (complete with a very very out of the way fun run).

Back