loss of oil pump prime

Napa Gold / Wix, one and the same. Back in my stock car days, we cut apart literally 100's of filters, tried many brands, some were free. Now I know why. The amount and quality of filter media is so different between brands. The worst we saw was FRAM, might as well stuffed a piece of tissue paper in a can. Wix is the best from all of our research! I have always used wix since then and never had an issue!

I've had the car on the road for 8 years, and in that time, used mostly the Fram PH2857A from the Monte Hospital. Only this latest oil change did I switch to a Bosch, which made no difference. So the only consensus I see from the discussion above is: (1) no Fram or Bosch; (2) try various other filters to see which works best in this application. I also think I should inspect and change the gasket behind the oil filter mount. I'll do that, but it won't be until November at the earliest. Too many other demands on my time until then.

Just to let you know, long story short, I replaced the oil pump with a new one from Bielstein of Germany, and all is now fine. Also, I ended up using an Austrian-made Mahle oil filter #OC383, as recommended by Darren Cooksey of the Montecarlo Consortium. I get oil pressure within a couple seconds of cranking. So nice to be able to start and use the car without having to do the spark plug polka! Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

Back