Loss of Power/Mechanic Recommendation?

CRogerson

Low Mileage
Hello All,
I've owned my 68 850 Spider since 1994. It was my first car I purchased back in High School. I learned a lot working on it through college since it was always breaking down. After college I stored it for about 18 years. I finally was able to dedicate some time to working on it after moving back to the US and I have managed to replace pretty much all the suspension, brakes, rebuilt the carburetor (3 times), replaced the radiator, water pump, generator, plug wires, plugs, installed an electronic ignition and amazingly got it running & "driving" after sitting for that long. I had replaced the rings and had the head redone back around 1998 or so. I have taken it out around the neighborhood and it has absolutely no power or torque. Seems to just sputter and misfire even though the timing is clicking along at 825-870 rpm. I have checked the compression and have between 110-120 psi in all four cylinders and I have reached a point that anything more would most likely require purchasing equipment and tools would be cost prohibitive (wife would kill me) vs just finding a mechanic/garage to take it that actually knows what they are doing. It also has quite a few electrical gremlins, some of which I fixed 20 years ago, although looking at them now I really have no clue how I managed it.

My next step was to switch back to the points distributor to see if anything improved. With the electronic ignition the tach doesn't seem to work right (it's all over the place)and the red stall light (or whatever the light is for) on the tach stays on. Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to what could be causing the loss of any power. The clutch does not seem to be slipping, it has been in there for almost 20 years, but it hasn't covered very many miles. I'm wondering if it could be something with the carb, setting the float always seemed to be a hassle to get the distance it hangs off the top cover and quite frankly I don't know if I'm doing it correctly. It rev's fine, but the first time I rebuilt it every time I would rev it, it would lag and backfire back up through the carb. I rebuilt it a second time and that seemed to correct it, but it still backfires every once and a while.

If anyone knows any reputable mechanics around Missouri (I'm pretty much smack dab in the middle) they could recommend I would sure appreciate it! I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel, but it's close.

There is an old saying that 90% of carburetor problems are ignition related and yours almost certainly are.
Tach problems and backfire through the carb are good indications. What type of electronic ignition are you using?
Check or replace your coil too.

Welcome to Xweb CRogerson!

I am up near St Louis, but 95% of my Fiat experience is in X1/9s. I don't have much to offer except to advise you make sure the timing is set properly.

Welcome to Xweb CRogerson!

I am up near St Louis, but 95% of my Fiat experience is in X1/9s. I don't have much to offer except to advise you make sure the timing is set properly.
And make sure the mechanical advance is working and not locked up from sitting. My 1960 1200 did that after sitting a year or so and gave the same symptoms.

There is an old saying that 90% of carburetor problems are ignition related and yours almost certainly are.
Tach problems and backfire through the carb are good indications. What type of electronic ignition are you using?
Check or replace your coil too.
I ordered the ignition and coil through Mr. Fiat, don't think there is a mechanical advance on it but then again I don't know too much about that kind of new technology....

I was hoping it would fix the timing issues I had long ago, where I could never get it to idle correctly (granted that could have been operator error). It fixed that, but it's just not running right. At least my mechanical distributor is relatively "new". I had ordered that one back around 1998 or so and again, not many miles on it.

Do you have the instructions from Mr Fiat along with the link to the distributor they sell? It might help us to help you.

Did it run ok before changing the distributor or did you change the distributor and then try to get it runnning?

Do you have the instructions from Mr Fiat along with the link to the distributor they sell? It might help us to help you.

Did it run ok before changing the distributor or did you change the distributor and then try to get it runnning?
Unfortunately there were no instructions, just plug an play. It's the only electronic ignition they sell for 850's.

I did not take it out on the road when it had the original distributor in it, at that point I was still in the middle of replacing all the brake work.

Also just to provide a little more information, the electronic ignition came with both the distributor and the coil.

Check that your ignition timing is not 180 degrees out, it would run like that...

Last edited:
I ordered the ignition and coil through Mr. Fiat, don't think there is a mechanical advance on it but then again I don't know too much about that kind of new technology....

I was hoping it would fix the timing issues I had long ago, where I could never get it to idle correctly (granted that could have been operator error). It fixed that, but it's just not running right. At least my mechanical distributor is relatively "new". I had ordered that one back around 1998 or so and again, not many miles on it.

Did you get both the distributor and the coil?

I looked it up on the mr fiat site. Looks like the Autobianchi A112 ignition. I happen to have one but haven't used it yet. I would chase down an online workshop manual for the A112 Abarth. Ask MR Fiat again for an instruction manual. For what they are charging they should be able to provide lots of technical assistance IMHO.

I looked it up on the mr fiat site. Looks like the Autobianchi A112 ignition. I happen to have one but haven't used it yet. I would chase down an online workshop manual for the A112 Abarth. Ask MR Fiat again for an instruction manual. For what they are charging they should be able to provide lots of technical assistance IMHO.
The electronic ignition was one of those "splurge" purchases. In college and even high school ALL of my money basically went to car parts. Having a real job has given me the luxury to tick the boxes of all of the parts that back then I could only dream about. Electronic ignition? Check! Twin pipe exhaust manifold? Check! Brand new generator? Check! Ticked off wife with me spending a lot of money on a car I can't get to run right? Double check!!

The electronic ignition was one of those "splurge" purchases. In college and even high school ALL of my money basically went to car parts. Having a real job has given me the luxury to tick the boxes of all of the parts that back then I could only dream about. Electronic ignition? Check! Twin pipe exhaust manifold? Check! Brand new generator? Check! Ticked off wife with me spending a lot of money on a car I can't get to run right? Double check!!

Saw a thread (not sure if it were here or possibly a FB group) of similar mysterious complaint that went into great detail with photos about a bunch of those exhausts that were improperly manufactured. Where the collectors meet there was overlap onto the pipe that essentially reduced two of the cylinders' exhaust pipe holes to the size of maybe a quarter. If you remove the pipe and look down the exhaust with a borescope you could see if yours is affected. The thread I saw had the OP cutting-up/repairing and rewelding the pipe. Maybe someone else can help with a link?

Saw a thread (not sure if it were here or possibly a FB group) of similar mysterious complaint that went into great detail with photos about a bunch of those exhausts that were improperly manufactured. Where the collectors meet there was overlap onto the pipe that essentially reduced two of the cylinders' exhaust pipe holes to the size of maybe a quarter. If you remove the pipe and look down the exhaust with a borescope you could see if yours is affected. The thread I saw had the OP cutting-up/repairing and rewelding the pipe. Maybe someone else can help with a link?
Appreciate the information. Something for me to for sure check out. I have yet to install the twin pipe exhaust though and it still has the single exhaust.

Back