Lotus Elise -vs- K20A powered x1/9..

Engine Sounds...

Is the reason why there is such a LARGE aftermarket for exhaust systems and one of the first mechanical items any "wrench Head" alters on their car...

It is also why many individuals choose a specific car, next to visual appeal, the exhaust sounds are what makes or breaks the car sale..

When Mazda was designing the Miata, they worked to imitate the exhaust note of a MGB...

It's all a matter of individual preference...

Lotus had a rather curious solution to the exhaust note problem in the Hybrid Evora.. It has a recorded sound track that is controlled by the throttle pedal.. I'm sure this can be adapted to just about any car and just about any exhaust note can be had from most any car...
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/09/video-c-d-takes-the-lotus-evora-hybrid-for-a-virtual-spin/

I'll say this, exhaust note or any single item/feature alone is NOT going to sell me on any car..

Bernice

...didn't realize you heard the K20 X live and in person. Maybe you did hear the green one we had built, not certain. If I did it was when leaving the restaurant if" I did I don't remember it at all. Christians doesn't even sound a bit like that one. I am sure your car sounds better in person than over the web as well, but still probably sits at about 1/2 of the hp HP does not alway + good sound (which is still commendable for an X not an X anymore IMO) of the K20. I really haven't heard a web engine that sounds extremely sweet. Oh yeah!?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NfjC5G8Q-o"]YouTube - OllonVillars2010Video03of36[/ame]
now this is a 1300 with I think 165 hp (Bernice will correct ) it sounds better then a K 20 and I dare say that my X may sound better then my Shogun which had he intake silencer removed from intake tube it had 220 hp (not bad for a 1989 3 liter) tough call the Shogun sounded like 3 Ducati's.
Formula one 's are sewing machines ie: no torque! 1 more thing when Honda first came out with the 2000 with 200 hp the biggest complaint was "no torque"! So they had to create Var. valve timing taking all the art out of engine building IMO

This is THE better note...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxIPKrpQOqE"]YouTube - 24 Hours of LeMons ThunderHill 09 The Dancing Reindeer[/ame]

Bernice

I'll say this, exhaust note or any single item/feature alone is NOT going to sell me on any car..

Agreed for sure...

But just re-reading this whole thread, I'd like to hear more answers to your original question. Does anyone have more details of this car?

How much does it weigh? Wheels/tires/suspension mods... brakes? What do I have to add to my list of 'wants and needs' to get something this ridiculous?

I've done a few searches on here, and would love to hear more about how people reduced the weight on their cars substantially. I know the 83X I bought to put on the street is going to shed a bunch of weight.

Matt would be...

...the person to ask regarding the K20 applications. Each K20 X build is different, depending on what the owner is looking for. Matt has enough hands on experience and knows these cars capabilites extremely well. There are one or two others on the forum here that have done a K20, and may be willing to answer any questions you have, as well.
Bernice, Steve H.,Steve C., Matt and several others here have been extremely successful in racing and getting the most out of these cars and there are probably another 10-20 people on the forum that would probably be happy to chime in if you start a thread with your specific questions.

Midwest-Bayless has a lot of exciting things to come. Matt recently hired someone with a lot of tuning and turbo experience.

Stay tuned!

Back