Lowering a Fiat 1100 sedan

tomnj

Old fogie stogie
Hi all,

Spring has sprung and (no pun intended) I want to modify my springs for a lower ride height. The front of the 1100 uses coil springs so I simply have to find a lowered set, but lowering the rear seems challenging with the stock leaf springs. Anyone know the best method for dropping the rear about 2-3"? I see many race prepped 1100's in Europe that have been significantly lowered.

Thanks, Tom

Attachments

• IMG_6730.JPG
    IMG_6730.JPG
    542.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_6767.JPG
    IMG_6767.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 202
At the very least one can have the spring re-arched, this would change the shape of the spring so it lowers the car.

I don't know the 1100s suspension so I looked at some image to see what the related parts are in the rear suspension so there may be other options. Reversing the spring eyes could help at both ends of the spring and you could shorten the shackles at the back of the spring to the body.

Additionally the axle could have a block added below with longer axle retention U bolts, part #15 in the illustration, to change the relationship of the axle to the spring. Basically dropping the spring closer to the road. This would likely be the easiest thing to do and could be quickly changed back to standard.

Seems like there are options.

Attachments

• IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Back