mechanical fuel pump

jrweikle

True Classic
are there rebuild kits available for this and if so where
mechanically the pump is in good shape except for the valve spring and valve
2jg1307.jpg

in this picture the damaged spring is circled in blue as well as part of the valve washer (don't know what it is called) and the valve is missing I found parts of it after i took the picture
213hmj5.jpg

in this picture the good spring is circled in red along with the valve washer and valve

i left out the picture of the diaphragm but it is good shape also

Never seen a rebuild kit, but...

A new one is $23.95 at IAP (especially convenient for us NC folks) and available from all the vendors.

well i ordered a new fuel pump but i would have preferred to rebuild it. i am OCD about DIY iy i can oh well........

... I'm afraid I too know of your affliction...

I try to fix EVERYTHING before I toss it...

But to counter my issues, I live with a person that does just the opposite!

Obert has some parts

Pretty cheap too! He has the center section but it is the 128 style with one hose pointed down and one pointed up:
http://www.fiatplus.com/central-part-of-fuel-pump-pr-296179.html
and the diaphragm which should be correct:
http://www.fiatplus.com/bcd-fuel-pump-diaphragm-pr-296877.html

Unfortunately, Chris wants $62 for the whole, top feed fuel pump. I thought that was a little steep relative to the other vendors so I bought one from Vick last summer for something like $25.

It turned out to be a really sweet BCD brand, as was the original one that came off the car. Made in Italy, too! Looks almost exactly like the original unit. It was X1/9 specific, with both lines coming out the top. I had called IAP first but the guy didn't know (and didn't care to investigate) which pump he had (128 or X1/9) and told me I could just get a longer hose and make it fit...*click*

As to your failure; it's funny, mine failed in pretty much the exact same manner as yours, jrweikle. Luckily it was in my garage at the time. It was one of the few parts I didn't rebuild or replace when I restored the car a few years back. Can you imagine the number of cycles that thing had seen? One for ever revolution of the motor in a car geared that low with 120,000 ish miles on it! Well...I guess it would be....let's say it turns 4000rpm * 60mph, that would be 4000revs/mile in 4th. Even if we just assume it was driven in 4th 100% of the time and that the pump runs half-speed to the crank, THAT'S 250,000,000 CYCLES! Needless to say, I was happy that the new one was the same brand as the old one :)

Last edited:
Curiosity question. If I use one of these mech fuel pumps. Would Dual DCNF 40s still work on the engine with that fuel pump? Just curious or will I need to go to an electric one with more capacity?:)

It SHOULD be sufficient... as carbs usually...

only need about 3.5 pounds of pressure and the stock pump should be able to supply both the PRESSURE and the QUANTITY.

I would use a fuel log of sorts with a pressure regulator and pressure gauge... at the far end of the log. That way I can be assured that both carbs are getting the fuel they require.

(Electric pumps are indeed good but they should always have a regulator and be sure you use one for a carb, versus FI. Pretty much an overkill but some would like the little 1/4 hp gain from not running a mechanical pump though.)

Your choice, I'm just saying an electric should not be necessary.

i would definitely fit a adjustable fuel pressure regulator with the electric fuel pump if using twin carbs so they dont flood but saying that i know some who have used the standard manual pump which was ok with twin 40s

Back