Miata seats - which to use

SpidArman

Collector of wayward cars
Quick question...

Which style fits in the X better? 90-97 or 98-05? I have seen some people use the earlier seats, but I don't recall the later being used. I have an opportunity to pick up a local set of 98-00 seats. They are in great shape and have a diagonal herringbone look that is similar to the OEM seats.

Thanks for your imput...

Arman

Ive pondered this too. I would suggest that you remove your passenger seat, drive the car over to the new seats and dry fit one to see if it is physically going to work/look right and if so, buy em. After that its just a matter of welding the seat rails and installation of the seats. Post pics, good luck

!

I used the later seats exactly as you are describing. I like the overall shape better. More reminiscent of a Porsche design. They fit very well and look stock. FYI, both seat pans are the same, and either fit fine.

The only problem is if you have A/C. The lines run down the passenger side tunnel, inside the car. They will get in the way unless you swap sides with the seats. This puts the seat recliner levers in the middle. you really can't recline the seats anyway, and it makes more room for the seat belt to be accessed.

FIAT010.jpg

Coupla questions...

Can you use the seatbelt positions on the seats to mount the Fiat buckles?

What did you have to do to mount the seats on the rails?

I have AC, but prefer to use the seat in the original orientation. Is that absolutely impossible?

Looks great, Eddie...

Do they offer up a bit more leg room both fore and aft and also between the thigh and the wheel?

What mods or how did you go about installing them...

Curious minds would like to know!

HA!

(P.S. Black photographs terribly... and it appears these seats are more of a gray than black. If so and ya want them black... my old standby (Duplicolor Fabric and Vinyl Spray) would probably do the trick. You can even go to a lighter gray or change colors entirely if you want...)

!

My car is a later car, so the rails unbolt with the seats. Early cars may have to remove the welded in rails, or possibly unbolt the stock rails from the seat and bolt them to the Miata seat? On the later cars, the seats bolt into SOME of the stock holes. You have to drill a couple of new holes. I had no choice but to swap the seats. The Miata inside rail is way to the side and interferes with the A/C lines.

There are two problems. The driver side inertia seatbelt reel is in the way. You have to move it up and re-drill a new hole (see previous posts for pictures). Easy.

Problem two is that the stock Miata seat PAN is designed to fit down into a depression in the stock floorboard. It has sort of a "butt-socket" to cushion your tailbone that hangs down lower than the rails. This has to be cut. It's easy, but you have to remove the stock upholstery and foam, then cut the center downward-facing hump out. This leaves a big square hole in the bottom of the seat pan. You also have to grind off the seat foam as well so it's all nice and flat on the bottom. Essentially you will be sitting on the floarboard of the car unless you weld in a piece of flat metal, but I didn't see any need.

Stock seatbelts on the Miata bolt to the seat, so I ditched those. More stuff getting in the way.

Honestly this is a very easy conversion, and the seats are much better. However, they don't create any additional legroom. In fact, the actually sit you up about 1/2 inch higher. But it seems that the seat back is thinner, so you can lean back just a bit more. Overall, it's not real noticeable.

And the seats are black, but they sort of reflected the camera flash and ended up looking bright gray!.

ADDITIONALLY

Can you use the seatbelt positions on the seats to mount the Fiat buckles? If you swap the seats to the other side, no. If you don't swap the seats, the FIAT seat belt tab actually fits into the Miata buckle, no swap required.

What did you have to do to mount the seats on the rails? Use the Miata rails and seat complete.

The miata seat fabric does 'silver' or gray as it gets dirty and/or sunfades...

I've painted my at least two times!

I had an extra set I gave to a MGB buddy to put in a MGB-GT V8 project, which he sold!:eek: Luckily the seats weren't in the car (it was a p-r-o-j-e-c-t!) and I scored them back after I bought the X1/9's!!! I definitely intend on using them. (with headrest speakers!:music:)

!

That's the post alright! The pictures show the early seats, but the later ones are the same.

I've also thought that in order to get some more headroom, you could probably shave the foam from the seat center bottom pillow without effecting the fit of the upholstery. That would drop you maybe an inch.

The tubular frame of the Miata seat would be easy to modify in lots of ways if you wanted to, but really it's not necessary.

Back