More fun with the 124 Special

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
It has been raining here for more than 2 weeks, so I have been working on the 124 in the garage. It has a few problems I have been trying to work out. Now that is has stopped raining, I may even try to start the car! :)

In the picture below you can see that I reverted to the stock air cleaner, added a fuel pressure regulator, a fuel pressure gauge, a float bowl vent hose for the carb and also a shiny new positive battery terminal.
Fuel_regulator.JPG

You can stop here if you don't want to hear the details or explore the depths of my incompetence. :)

Stock air cleaner fun: The new DFEV carb came with a spiffy little chrome air cleaner, but it didn't allow for the oil breather hose or have a properly sized fitting for the vapor canister hose. I came to the point that I felt it best to revert and take those two issues out of my problem list. The original studs from the DSHA were too small for the DFEV mounting holes and the M6x.10-12mm bolts that came with the DFEV were too short to mount the much sturdier stock cleaner, so I got the properly sized M6x1.0 bolts in 25mm and 30mm lengths to to mount the cleaner. I am not sure why it took two different lengths, but it did. All was well till I realized I left off the "air cleaner retainer" bracket that goes on top of the thick rubber seal inside the air cleaner. Naturally, the holes in that retainer plate were too small for an M6 bolt. I drilled them out. I think I need to paint that air cleaner.

Fuel pressure fun: I put an electric fuel pump in last winter, but it seems to put out a bit too much pressure... maybe. I installed the fuel pressure gauge first to get an initial reading. It read about 4.5lbs, which is what the pump was rated at. The Weber carb wants between 2.5-3lbs if I am reading the Weber info correctly, so I added a Holley fuel pressure regulator between the pump and pressure gauge. The freakin' regulator bled gas from every fitting and gasket.. a lot of gas... not a little. The best part was as I fixed one leak it moved to another fitting. Fun stuff. The fuel pressure gauge reads just under 3lbs now that all the leaks are stopped. Note: Look how clean the inner wheel well is from all the gas running down it from the regulator. :)
Fuel_regulator2.JPG

Battery terminal fun: There car has stranded me twice with starter issues. Both times on Cars and Coffee days... weird. The last time, I was checking the battery connection and the positive cable came off in my hand. At first I thought I forgot to tighten the clamp, but looking in my hand I saw there was no clamp on the cable. It was still on the battery. I cut off the ends of the positive and brown wires and stripped back to clean wire before putting the new clamp on.

Bowl vent hose: Have you ever had one of those days where you installed a new carb and couldn't figure out what that 3/8" barb coming off the side was for? So you figure it must be the fuel return, since the old DHSA had a return? Then you drive it like that for many months before finding fuel running down the intake manifold and wondering why it isn't just going down the return line? I have had the exact experience. So that barb is a bowl vent that is supposed to go to the vapor canister... just in case you ever need to know. You can see a 3/8" snaking around the front of the battery and heading for the canister. The bowl vent points to the DS of the car, so I had to run the hose the long way around to prevent kinks.

One more interesting feature of this car. Note that the washer bag is held up by a metal shish-kabob skewer. The bag is not the right size, so I guess a PO came up with this solution.

Not reading about any incompetence, more like persistence in the face of questionable parts.

I am a strong advocate of OE air cleaner set ups, they usually have large filters and accommodate all the needed connections.

Good luck on your next outing!

Thanks Karl

The OE cleaner makes me more comfortable knowing that all the hoses have a home, but the chrome one was really shiny. I did start the car and shut it down after letting let it warm up a few times. The leaks did not reappear, so hopefully that is a positive sign. The car started much easier than usual and seemed to settle to a decent idle quicker as well. All just "feels" with no scientific data to support them.

The incompetence part is not that I somehow get things kinda fixed, it is the process I go through to get there. I have changed the oil at least 5 times in the last year due to it being full of gas. First I rebuilt the DHSA thinking it was leaking. Nope. Then 2 oil changes later, I put in an electric fuel pump thinking the mech pump's diaphragm must be leaking. Nope. Another oil change with the new elec pump. Then I put on the new DFEV figuring the rebuilt DHSA was still the issue. Nope and another oil change. Now the fuel regulator and another oil change. The jury is out on this one for now.

See there, that is some serious flailing away at a problem. You guys don't get to see that. It's like my golf game, the factor that really increases my score is witnesses.

Next up will be an attempt at checking the valve clearances. I am putting off that clown show for a while.

Back