More woes, but progress (lots of pics)

AngleT

Always more tuning to do
While I had the engine out of the car, I replaced all the O-rings in the entire A/C system and pulled a vacuum on the system and it held for 3 days, excitement is high for A/C in my X. Then I install the engine and that's when the woes started. Unlike TonyK, my 85 X did not have the top side port on the low side hose (top hoes on pump). It must have been replaced with an earlier model. I decided to use the ports on the back of the pump. After I had the engine back in the car, it became crystal clear that the header was going to interfere with the back of the pump low side port. I tried a 90 degree swivel connection and it was too long also. Even if it did clear the exhaust, I realized that it couldn't be good for it to be that close to such a heat source. So, Midwest-Bayless to the rescue, again. Now that I've ordered the correct hose (as displayed in TonyK's write-up), it was time to turn my attention to other car stuff.

Put degree marks on my adjustable cam pulley.
IMG_0991.jpg

Set up cam with 1300 slack adjuster and resin aux pulley
IMG_0992.jpg

Nice PBS B-3 regrind installed and setup at Midwest-Bayless (Thanks Matt!)
IMG_0987.jpg

pretty...
IMG_0993.jpg

Lay down, good engine.
IMG_0994.jpg

I made the cart using scrap wood and creeper wheels. Rolls around very nicely with the engine on it.

Now low crawl...
IMG_0996.jpg

Staaaayyyy...
IMG_0997.jpg

Now, dip baby dip.
IMG_1000.jpg

Now slide, slide, slide
IMG_1003.jpg

A little transmission work.
I had to have a taper machined into the splines of my Colotti diff to accept the spring clip on the half shaft. It was sent to me a square edge and no way to accept the spring clip. Abacus Racing machine shop fixed me up.
IMG_1015.jpg

Now to reassemble the trans. Ugh... It's been too long since the last time I did this. How's this thing go together again?
IMG_1018.jpg

Ah, done.
IMG_1021.jpg

Aluminum flywheel and high tension pressure plate installed. Can you see what I forgot? Hint: I didn't notice it until the transmission was installed.
IMG_1022.jpg

Still lots to do before FFO, but things are looking up.

Last edited:
The hose situation sucks

I can understand your feeling and frustration. I'm sure with your replacement hose things will work out. Was there a way to compare the ordered hose with the hose now in the car ? Just to make sure your not getting the same thing again ? It's happen before.

Your engine looks fantastic by the way.

WEEEEEEE!

It's fun to watch other people work on their car, as I sit here like a lump.....

Nice detail work. You should make a Lexan engine cover so you can show off the engine all the time.

Forgot??? Tin behind the flywheel?

If so... WHA DO I WIN?

HA! No biggie and just added weight and a hassle installing the trans and starter. If its the T/O bearing... that's another story...

I've never left one out but once while installing a VW engine... I pointed out to my neighbor BEFORE installing the engine how they used THREE clips to keep the pressure off the clutch-plate so it can be easily moved and located before the pressure-plate is tightened down.

After we got the engine installed and he went home to shower and change... I hadta go get him again to help me pull it to remove the F*^%#$* clips!

Talk about embarrasing!

Hey... I love the simple Three Color theme to the car AND the engine... keeping it BLACK for bels and hoses, SILVER for most of the aluminum and metals, with a bunch of BLUE all over. Looks great, and great SHADE of blue also!

I'm thinking that you forgot...

Aluminum flywheel and high tension pressure plate installed. Can you see what I forgot? Hint: I didn't notice it until the transmission was installed.
IMG_1022.jpg

Still lots to do before FFO, but things are looking up.

To put the clutch alignment tool in before you tightened the pressure plate. Or did you already do that and remove it before this pic was taken?

I leave the thing in there til the trans goes on, so that I can remember that I did it for sure!

Pete

Your right again.

It was the tin behind the flywheel. As I'm putting the transmission on, I thought "Wow, that was way easier than I remember." About 5-10 min later I found out why it was so easy. The second time I installed the trans wasn't much worse, but did require a little swearing to get it on, mostly from it rubbing against the rear frame rail and not going in square. All in all, not too bad.

Sorry, I used it for the...

Stereo amp display!
Amps1.jpg

I "vented" my engine lid cover for that "peek-a-boo" view of what hides beneath.

IMG_0553.jpg

I just did mine up half way so the friction plate could still move with some force and pushed the transmission on, then pulled it (transmission) off and did them up to torque specs, then test fitted transmission again, and what dya know... it all fits.

Then I forgot that piece of metal and had to squeeze it in there...:hrmph:

My respect and admiration?

and the satisfaction of knowing a lot about X 1/9's. LOL

Seriously, good job!

Back