Mr. Tony Natoli, Question.

TonyK

True Classic
2 weeks ago my Mazda Alternator gave up after 25 years. Today the replacement while I am trying to tune Megasquirt pegs the needle and is putting out more than 16 volts at idle. ( I am getting a miss sometimes, could be the coil saturating)I have been down this path with Fiat alternators, the Marelli's and have lost an ignition coil, pick coil, battery and all my light blubs. What GM Alternator are you using. Model of car, or unit is needed. I will pick one up in the next few days and install it.

Thanks.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Mr. Decker

You are a cyber wonder.

Thanks for the links.

Pictures to follow.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Hey TK... Hopefully that size of GM alternator will work...

... for this application also.

I used the THREE wire type and wired it as I stated... 'cause I didn't wanna experiment with a ONE wire alternator and possibly loose the instrument panel functions.

One caveat though, if it can be believed... was that the late infamous Greg Silver said he installed and wired in a ONE wire GM alternator to the starter... yanked out the regulator and all its associated wiring, and everything worked, including the voltmeter and charging lamp, on what was then HIS, 1978 1300.

I certainly think this is possible, but I have no first hand knowledge.

Looking forward to see what you do.

One Wire Alternator.

The Mazda Alternator has a diode fail light to the dash, but I didn't use it. I installed a battery alarm/tender with 5 LED lights. At 11.5 volts the red LED came on and sounded the alarm. At 16 volts an Orange LED came on warning of climbing voltage.

The Mazda Alterator is a Bosch Unit that will not excite until the engine rev's up to 2000 RPM after start up. So if you start the engine cold and do not rev. it up past 2000 rpm the alternator does not charge nor load the engine. Once past 2000 RPM the unit is charging and will continue to do so until the car is shut off again. The benifit here is that when starting the starter is not carrying the load of the alternator trying to charge the battery.

The voltmeter will work on the car as it draws it's supply from the instrument cluster or fuse bus. The only thing that the purple/black wire does is turn on the red light in the voltmeter showing a no charge or shorted diode condition.

The Marelli alternatiors in 78 removed the voltage regulator and moved them to the rear trunk on the right side of the car, just to get them out of the heat.

Most alternators have the regulator built into the unit and for some reason like those on the Camaro seem to take the heat without charging problems.

I am heading down to Car Quest today to get a unit.

Will be in touch.

Thanks for your help.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back